Monday, March 05, 2007

Children of the King

The Lord has given me a new word to use. It is Prince/Princess. If we are children of the King that would make us His prince or princess and in all ways we should act as such. I've been using this with my children as well as evaluating my own actions.

My 4yo is a very messy eater. I know he's only 4, but I do think he could do better. So I ask him, "Does a prince eat like this, or do you think he would be more careful at the table?" He always asks the same thing..."Is a prince a boy?" LOL. Well, he needs some more work.

I think of this as I get dressed. I hate dressing up and if I'm not going anywhere, I've been known to stay in my pjs all day. I've been trying to do better and to look decent whether I'm going anywhere or not. I have a husband that does not care at all how I dress and it would never bother him in the least if I wore the worst clothes in the house every day. However, I think....does the way I dress honor my King, or does it portray a spirit of laziness and thoughtlessness? Would a princess dress in this shirt that has paint all over it for 2 days in a row? I'm not saying that we should dress in our finest as we're scrubbing toilets and cleaning up milk but that, for me, I have to be careful to consider my thoughts behind my dress to evaluate whether it is honoring or lazy. I have a daughter that follows in my footsteps in this area so we're learning this together.

Ok, so a princess would not scrub the potty. BUT, a servant does. And there is no better title than to be a servant of the Lord. What a unique privilege to consider myself as both! I guess it's a balance that is hard to describe.

Today is potty scrubbing day AND it's time to get dressed. Wonder what I'll wear?

No comments: