Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Reason No.501 To Live In The South

We've have a bountiful harvest of cucumbers
I need to get them from here....



To Here!

Problem is I only have 2 empty jars. Now in the south you have jars busting out of the cupboards and taking up most of the free space in the garage. They hold everything from bulk spices and beautiful tomatoes to screws and loose change.

Honey says, "Do we have to move these to CO?" Absolutely not! We can easily replace them at .10 a piece at any thrift store or garage sale.

So off to the thrift store I go ready to load up on canning jars. Guess what? They're not .10 they are .69! Each! Sixty-nine cents for a used mason jar without a lid? No thanks.

I go to Goodwill next. Not quite as upscale as Savers they're sure to be cheaper. Can you believe there is not a single jar in the whole store? Not one! I am not believing I'm actually going to have to buy these new. As in retail for canning jars!?

Sigh....... So I go to Walmart. I walk all over the store looking in every place they ought to be. Finally I ask a lady and do you know what she says? "We don't carry canning supplies." WHAT?! Unbelievable.

What do I do now? I could pay .69 but it's not going to do me any good if I can't find a place that sells rings and flats. Maybe Big Lots? Seems like they should have things like that.

Back across town for more disappointment. No canning supplies! No jars, no lids, nothin'.
So tell me, are canning supplies exclusive to stores in the south?? Where in the world do you find them in CO?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Back when I was looking for some new pickle recipes, I found that there are several canning supply places from which you can order on line. Some I saw had prices similar to Walmart but I'm not sure what the shipping would be. That may not be fast enough for you though? Have you tried ordering on-line at Walmart and doing the ship to store thing?

I was at Thrift Town a couple of weeks ago and they had their jars priced $.65!!!

Renee

Anonymous said...

Sandy, Anna says try Whole Foods, Vitamin Cottage, or Sunflower Market.

Unknown said...

Wow, you're right about jars flowing out of garages and closets and stuff in the south... But, I always figured it was the truth anywhere that you could grow veggies.
You poor thing!