Wednesday, July 02, 2008

The Shortcut Park

My son went running with me yesterday and I took him to my favorite place. It's an elementary school yard that has a running track. He loved it too and wanted everyone to get to see it. The play equipment is different from our school across the cul-de-sac and he had great plans to play Lava (a game they made up).

I learned something today. Running with a dog gets you there faster than walking with 9 kids. The stroller had a flat. The 2 yo was slow. It was hot. It was taking forever. UNTIL I thought of a shortcut!!

So I take them up the other side of the creek and plan to cross at the bridge. Well, it was blocked. You can't walk up the other side of the creek b/c there isn't enough room. You'd have to swim.

Now we have to walk back to the place we started and go the regular way. My son is impatient knowing we have to leave by 12:45 and we are *not* making good time. I let him run ahead with his brothers and Meg and I brought up the rear with babies. We got there at 12:45...time to turn around.

It was way too fun to do that though so we parked under a tree and let Babyest out of the stroller. Already Mally was at the top of the slide. The springy car is big enough for two. The slides are long and bumpy and fast. There's a zip line and lots of monkey bars. Oh yes, this is a fun place!

On the way back I let them stop and play in the creek(!). Huge fun! The walk home was a lot faster since we didn't take the short cut. And a bit cooler since most of them were wet.

We had ice cream at home followed by lots of "Thank you MOM!!" and slip and slide in the back yard. There's plans of going back...but NOT taking the short cut.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where's this? It sounds like a great place, I'd love to take my girls!
Jen

TaggTroop said...

I don't know what school it is b/c we didn't walk in front. You follow the creek behind Green Gables. It was fun but there is hardly any shade.