Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Homeschooling Babies

Our Babyest is a whopping 14 months old now. He's starting to talk, can sign, nod and shake, pretend to blow his nose, and is proud when he turns off lights with his toes.

And when I think of how much time I spend with each of my kids on school, I have to say that his school probably takes the most time. I know that most people think of school starting at kindergarten but there's so much opportunity before that.

Here's Babyest's school...

~Sitting on a blanket and playing with the toys Momma "assigns" without getting off (blanket time).
~Crying quietly.
~Reading & singing.
~Signing.
~Coming when called.
~Staying where he's told.
~Giving it back, putting it down, and not touching it.
~Obeying a simple command.
~Sitting through church.

Some of these are taught passively and some we work on purposely. Crying loudly and voicing his disapproval over every little thing was quite an issue for him. That was definitely one we worked on purposely! And thankfully, that is one where we've seen improvement the last couple of weeks.

This is a fun age. I love seeing the things we've taught him start to click. And hopefully these lessons in self control will translate into a smoother book time school in a couple of years.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like he'll be a good man someday :)