Korah, Dathan, and Abiram. 3 men described as "insolent and rose up against Moses." Num 16:1-2 They brought with them 250 Israelite men to oppose their leader. In a nutshell, God opened up the earth to swallow these 3 leaders along with their families, tents, and all possessions. As the other Israelites fled in fear, God sent fire to consume the 250 followers.
What a day! I imagine if I were a fellow Israelite who witnessed such things I would have a hard time sleeping that night. My mind would be racing with the evidence of God's mighty hand. But then...
"The next day the whole Israelite community grumbled against Moses and Aaron. " V.41
Hello? *The very next day*!? Well I've been disappointed in myself enough times that I don't want to judge others. However I do want to learn so I ask "How?"
"How could they rise up in opposition again after just seeing what happened?"
I think it comes down to pride and lack of fear of God. Pride that desires exaltation of self and a lack of fear that says, "Go for it. Get your own way."
I have a baby son that struggles with this very thing. When you don't give him just what he wants, he will throw something at you in a fit of anger. I spank him, make him pick it up, and usually have to spank him again b/c he's still screaming at me. And even though we just did this 20 minutes ago, here we are again. His desire to get his own way overrides his fear of consequence. And so we press on....
My goal is to teach him the humility to deny himself and a healthy fear to keep wrongs in check. I don't want him to be as a forgetful Israelite. I want to tame him and shape him to be useful to God.
A prayer that I often pray over my family is a Scripture in Deut 5:29
"Oh, that their hearts would be inclined to fear me and keep all my commands always, so that it might go well with them and their children forever!"
3 comments:
so, how exactly do you teach a child 'the humility to deny himself and a healthy fear to keep wrongs in check' ~ I sure haven't figured this one out!!
this was a good word today! Thanks
jodie
Thinking of you today and praying for you and your family.... And while you are praying, if you dont mind include us - our house is sold and we need to find a suitable rental. Take care.
Love,
Michele
Post a Comment