Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Ramblings Of Rabble

Rabble. Isn't that a funny word? It refers to the Egyptians and others who left with Israel during the exodus. In Numbers 11 the rabble were dissatisfied with manna and the Israelites started in complaining again. If you didn't know the history of discontent you might think the rabble to be a bad influence.

Up ahead in chapter 14 the spies have just returned and reported gloom and doom. It says all the community raised their voices and wept aloud and grumbled against Moses. They believed the first thing they heard from their peers. And when Joshua and Caleb reminded them of their position with the Lord, they talked of stoning them!

How easy it is to follow the naysayers. Just this morning I read about the climbing stats of suicides in this country. Last night I listened to a podcast concerning the rate of college students abandoning their faith. The reports are everywhere. And while I think there is value in being wise about the times, I also think it is dangerous to buy into every conspiracy theory you hear.

Now Joshua and Caleb were far from the power-of-positive-thinking types. They saw the same things the other spies did. They knew the truth, they trusted in their God, and were willing to forge ahead under the command of their Lord. It doesn't seem that they were too concerned about things being easy and nice. They didn't turn their eyes toward Egypt.

Here is a quote from Voddie Baucham that I like, "We are not here to consume and enjoy." Paul says it like this...

"However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the task with joy and complete the ministry the Lord Jesus has given me-the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace." Acts 20:24

In the verses before that he mentions the fact that he does not know what is to become of him but that the Holy Spirit warns him of hardships and prison. He does not shrink back. He knows the truth, trusts in his God, and encourages his listeners to be on guard.

Thinking on these things this morning I wondered how I could train my children to be Joshuas and Calebs. To be the salt and light and to point others to the good news of God's Word. I want them to be able to stand alone when their peers are doubting and to shout from the rooftops that the victory has already been won! To remember where their treasure lies, to deny themselves, to live for Christ. To not to worry about how things appear and expect life to be perfect. To suck it up and not whine when it's not. To encourage others to do the same.

It starts with me. Me being the good example. Me encouraging them. Me pointing them to the Lord. It's work. It's denying myself. But I wonder if in years to come we could change these disturbing reports if we took our eyes off of the things of this world and instead turned them toward furthering the Kingdom....one child at a time. Then maybe they could stand strong, not fall in with the rabble, or look to Egypt instead of their God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Honey,
Great insight...

There is a song by Casting Crowns that states,

"What if the life that we pursue
Came from a hunger for the truth
What if the family turned to Jesus
Stopped asking Oprah what to do"

I think that even Christians (of the US) have a tendency to be worldly. Due to compromises, complacency, cowardice, fear of man, desiring to be liked, self-esteem, victimization, media, Dr. Phil, Oprah...yikes, it's endless.

It is too easy to accept what the crowd is saying and claim it as truth and forget where the REAL Truth comes from.