Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Can I Tell You A Story?

I'll try not to make it too wordy, but it is a good story.  I think. 

My high school daughter takes an English class that meets in a church across town.  I dropped her off, rolled the windows down, and settled in to enjoy the fall weather in the parking lot while I chatted to my SIL on the phone. 

A couple minutes later a lady drives up with 2 kids in a beat up car.  She motions for my attention so I get off the phone figuring she might need directions or something.  I was kinda right.  She asked if the pastor was there and which doors were unlocked.  I had no idea.  It's not my church.  I suggested she drive around and look for an Office sign and see if that door was unlocked.   She seemed satisfied and drove off.

I reached over for my cookbook and got ready to menu for the week.  Then she was back. 

This time she looked distraught.  She was about to cry.  She asked if I had my own church in town.  Her car was out of gas.  She's living in a motel w/her kids.  She needs $20 for the rent before tomorrow.  She wants to get her life right with God.   She's been away for a long time and wants to come back.  She needs help from a church.

I'm thinking.  And praying.  God what do I tell her?  Fellowship or Immanuel?  Is she for real or just wanting money?  

I asked her to follow me down the road to the gas station then we could come back here and talk. 
She seemed thankful and relieved. 

I filled her car up and got $20 from the ATM.  Then I directed her back to the church where my daughter was in class.   At this point I'm wondering if she really will or if she'll just take the money and go. 

But she followed.  And I sat in the car and listened to her story....and silently prayed.  Among the mess of life she was describing, one thing stood out.  She wanted to get right with God.  She wanted to understand her Bible.  She needed a place where she could feel welcome...just like she is right now. 

And it was very clear.  Immanuel.  I wrote it down and it turns out that she was a little familiar with them from attending the block party last year.   She said her kids would like to do Awana and they would come on Wed night. 

As she talked I was asking God if there was any Word I could give her.  Later when the time was right the Scripture we're memorizing rang loud and clear.  But really God?  That one?  That's not something that someone like her wants to hear. 

But I went ahead.  It was what He had given me....what I had to give....and I trusted it was right. 
So I told her what I read that morning....

"we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us. "  Romans 5:3-5

She loved it!  She was very receptive and seemingly thankful and asked me to write it down. 

I prayed with her and she drove off. 

I sat in the car processing.  What exactly just happened?  And wondering if I'd just been taken.   But what does it matter?  That's between her and God.  I just did what I felt was right.

24 hours later and I'm praying for her and wondering if she'll come tomorrow.  We'll see.  But mostly thinking how the Lord stoops down to make us great.   He gives us every resource, every spiritual blessing, the inclination to serve Him, then gives us an opportunity to feel like we're making a difference.  

And I'm humbled.  And quiet.  And praying.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm Proud of you :)

Dad

Anonymous said...

Initially my first thought was "Oh no, you got scammed", but then after I'd read the entire story I saw it in a whole new light. Even if she was trying to con you, would she be doing that if it were not a necessity? So you still helped a woman in need. And doesn't a con artist need to see God at work through you more than most? Whichever way it works out, you did the right thing. Thanks for sharing. It's a reminder to me not to be so cynical.

Anonymous said...

Very touching--thanks for sharing! I love how the Lord was able to use you, even with your doubts, to show her Jesus' love, to LISTEN to her and show you cared. The Lord will meet her with 'armloads of salvation'!

Blessings,
Wendy