Thursday, July 30, 2009

A Hard Lesson

My 5yo has had a tough week. He is learning the hard lesson of honesty and has lied to me several times. And though I've been consistent to discipline him every time, it continues. It's never anything big. Just little things that make me think he just wants to see if he'll get away with it.

Today is rainy and we decided to give the play place at Eastside a try. Just before we were ready to walk out the door he lied again. Again a little one, but dishonesty just the same.

I decided to try another tactic and told him he would not be allowed to play at Eastside OR with the Wings who were coming later. He needed something that would remind him not to try this again and making his day miserable was all I could think of.

OH the play place was FUN!! Fun for big kids and little ones. And Nate had to sit by me and watch. We were the only ones there for about an hour. He sat watching his brothers and sisters run and slide and climb with big tears rolling down his cheeks.

I sat there debating with myself if I should let him get up. Maybe he should sit out part of the time instead the whole time? Should I let him slide down the fast slide just once before we go? But my heart kept telling me NO and to just wait it out. So I did. And I hated it.

Now he's on my bed taking a nap while everyone else is playing with Wing boys. A hard lesson but hopefully one that'll stick.

Work for the Kingdom or just plain torture? I guess time will tell....

1 comment:

emilyj said...

ITs tough being a parent. Sigh.