Thursday, July 23, 2009

Doing Laundry At The Laundry Place Isn't My Thing Either

especially when I got all the way there to discover I didn't have any soap OR quarters.

A critical oversight, I know.

Renee's done most of our laundry since we've been here. And since she comes back tomorrow, I thought about waiting. But since my son used a whole bottle of vinegar to try to make something explode and then used most of our towels to clean it up, I decided that it might be best to get it done.

No more science experiments for that boy until the moving truck arrives.

I went all the way back home to get the soap and rummaged around to find 3 dollars and 50 cents. That oughta do it.

Did you know it costs $2 to wash a load of clothes at one of those places? My $3.50 wouldn't cut it after all.

So I walk across the street to see if that bank would cash an outa state check. Nope. Really? Isn't cashing checks a thing that banks like to do?

I used my MasterCard in the ATM and changed those into quarters.

I get 3 loads washed I'm checking out the dryers. The sign says I'm supposed to clean out the lint trap. Like *that's* going to happen. I don't mean to be a laundry snob but someone else's lint? Not a chance.

Big dryers! I can easily get 2 loads in one--maybe 3. Then the laundry lady comes by and tells me not to do 3 since it would be too heavy. OK, 2 it is. I didn't want to push her in fear that she'd find out I disobeyed the lint rule.

I park myself in a chair opposite my clothes so I'll know when they're done. I notice an elderly man watching my laundry spin. He comes over and asks me if I'm using the 118. Not sure what the 118 is, but I show him the ones that are mine.

"Have you seen my brown house shoe?" he asks.

Apparently he left it in there. I offer to stop the load to let him look but he says he'll wait. Next thing I know he's digging in my dryer and pulls out his lost slipper. He holds it up to me with a huge smile on his face. Kinda bold, but really cute.

I get home with my fluffy laundry glad it's done and more thankful for Renee than ever before.

10 minutes later my daughter is looking for her sheet. Nowhere to be found and I'm hoping she just forgot to give it to me. Time goes by and a few more things are missing.

Really?

So I head back up there, check the dryers, and come home puzzled and empty handed.

Getting ready for bed it hit me -- Maybe I did 4 loads instead of 3? Maybe there's something in the washer instead of the dryer? Sigh.....

So here I am at 7am sitting in the laundry place watching my lost load of clothes spin around.

I don't think it's supposed to be this complicated.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

oh dear, done that one before (left a load in the washer at the laundromat)
except it was our apartment laundromat, and we left it in the washer more than half a week... (it took that long to notice that we were missing things - it was beach towels, swimsuits and a dress, so not everyday wear...)
See, Luke put them in the washer - I put them in the dryer - he said we had three loads so I dried three loads...
But really he did four loads. ewww.

Anyways, ALWAYS check the dryer and washer thoroughly, as I cannot tell you how many socks and even shirts and undies we've gotten that weren't ours :D

P.S. about the lint - c'mon, it's CLEAN lint; it's not so bad! But then I actually LIKE to clean lint traps :D

Anonymous said...

And just think about your grand mother having to do that every week but we couldn't afford to use the dryer so she took the clothes back home and hung them outside to dry. Oh by the way she didn't drive either so she had to bum a ride each time. :)
Dad

emilyj said...

Bless your heart! I know you can't wait to be in your new house with your own washer and dryer! It will be here soon. I can't wait to see y'all!

Rhonda said...

Oh I'm so sorry! You know you are welcome to do laundry at my house anytime and I mean it!
Hugs,
Rhonda

Rachel said...

You poor thing!!! That must have been a dreadful day!
*laughs hard at the experament truble*
Well, I'm glad that you have found a house already! Tell Lane, Lou, and Meggy that I said "Hi! I love you!!!!"
Love you,
Rachel