Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Menus and Shopping

Here's my menu this week...

Breakfasts-
fruit and....
oatmeal
cereal
cinnamon raisin bread
overnight french toast

Lunches-
chicken soup and bread
black bean burritos
tomato soup and grilled cheese
sandwiches
leftovers

Tea-
cinnamon rolls
peanut butter apple dip & apples
carrot cake
spinach artichoke dip & crackers
cheese & crackers
oatmeal muffins

Dinners-
Fajitas w/refried beans and rice
burgers and oven fries
meatloaf w/ mashed potatoes and crm spinach
salisbury steak w/ rice and green beans
lasagna w/ salad and bread
pizza
new recipe w/?
Date night- new chicken recipe and mac & cheese for kids

With meat from my parents (thank you again!) my menu leans heavily on beef.

I have already spent over half of my Sept grocery budget!! I'm trying something new b/c I hit a snag last month. I'm buying as much in bulk to last the whole month as I can...especially honey and cheese. It's scary to fork out that much at once with the whole month left to go but it's nice to see it in my pantry and know that it's not something I'm likely to run out of.

So I feel pretty much stocked up on the basics and will only need "fillers" for the next 3 weeks. However...another biggie, we've hit a growth spurt. The batch of cereal that used to last 5 days now lasts 2. There's hardly any left overs and there's lots more dishes. With 5 growing boys it's something that just keeps on happening! I'm praying for the Lord to show me how I need to adjust. Any thoughts? Does my menu look extravagant to you?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks prety good to me. Nobody really knows this but I eat a lot of cereal! I'll try to not eat as much.

Anonymous said...

It doesn't look extravagant, it looks delicious! The only thing that I, o wise mother of 1 baby that I am, can think of is what I've wondered of myself. How many ways are there to fix beans and rice? I told Marshall that when we have growing sons, we will have that dish more than once a week! Red beans and Rice is cajun, Black beans and rice is mexican, Lentils and Rice make a good soup (water, tomatoes, onion, curry, maybe some carrots...mmm). With the right spices and a dollup of yogurt or shredded cheese, beans and rice truly is one of my fav meals! And cheap cheap. Now, like I said, I am NOT speaking from experience!!! :o)

the momma said...

Susie & I have had this conversation many times & we always conclude - it's just plain ole' expensive to feed big people!!! (and 'big people' is relative ~ Jeremiah at only 4 yrs old eats like a horse; which qualifies him as a big people - food wise!)
You can only cut back so much & then, you just have to bite the bullet! Short of rationing out everything (and then hearing, "I'm hungry" a zillion times a day) I doubt there is much else you can do...