Becky told me this would happen. I never believed her at the time but now I'm living it. She told me that there would come a day when everybody *didn't* go to bed at 8pm. That big kids would stay up and want to chat and that my time with my husband would be limited.
Well that came to pass a few years ago I guess. All of a sudden we had company every night. I'm used to it now and don't think anything of it. However, I noticed yesterday that my afternoon time is also gone. It used to be that *everyone* had naps/quiet time at the same time every afternoon. Everyone. Now I have littles that do that still but I also may have someone finishing school in the dining room, someone working on the computer in the music room, and someone doing whatever in the kitchen.
Someone has a math question, someone wants to show me something on the computer, and "how many ounces is a cup"? I go downstairs to watch a light saber show and to answer another robot question. No door on the office or the laundry room so I'm a listening ear in every room of the house. And do my kids like to talk!!
The revivalist Vance Havner said, "If you don't come apart, you'll come apart."
That's how I felt yesterday. Usually there is some snippet of time I can go into my room and close the door. I can nap or read or clean my bathroom. I emerge ready to listen again.
With our new growth spurt and spending more time in the kitchen, trying to finalize our new chores and schedules, and school that goes well into the afternoon, there has been no time for that this week. My babies have been needy and high maintenance and I'm needing to do something different all the way around.
It seems like just when I get comfortable in a routine things change. I'm glad. Glad for kids who like me. Glad for busy work to do. Glad for noise and swords and legos in the corners. And glad that I'll not get stuck in a rut.
I'm enjoying this new phase of life and watching my big kids grow and formulate opinions. I listen to them talk football and their finances and watch them as they fit into the adult world. So happy to be a part of it! But I'm also glad for quiet times that I need to carve out. Glad for date night when I have a million things stored up to say. And glad for a door on my bedroom.
1 comment:
OH,I so know how you feel! I actually do have alone time more now, but not at night. Never at night. In some ways, it's a tough season, but before you know it they will fly the nest! Yikes! I'm really trying to treasure the moments.
Love you,
Susie
Post a Comment