Thursday, September 09, 2010

A Hospitality Makeover

My mom and g'ma just left after spending a fun-filled 2 days with us.  It was good to be out of routine for a bit, eat different foods, do special stuff, and sometimes just hang out.  Nana went with us to Awana this week and I loved that.  

But I noticed something.  And they were little things.  But still.

I overlooked a lot of things that I wish I hadn't. 

Like making coffee for Gram. 
And checking the toilet paper status before they arrived. 
I wish I had made something chocolate. 
And had more snack foods in the house. 

I learned some things about their likes and dislikes while they were here too.  Like Nana doesn't like pepper on her food.  And Gram doesn't like bean burritos. 

I think I'm going to make myself a little hospitality notebook listing as many likes/dislikes of my guests as I know. 
And making checklists of things that I would've liked to remember this time but didn't. 

If you've been here long, you'll know that hospitality doesn't come naturally to me.  But it's important to me so I keep practicing.  I want my guests to feel special and like I have thought ahead and prepared.  That I'm happy they are here and want them to come back.  

I wonder who's coming next???  Wanna swing by my house so I can practice on YOU? 

4 comments:

Nana said...

Your very hospitable, because we always feel at home at your house. It's nice to try different things. I really liked Awana and spending time with you. I love you.

emilyj said...

Wish I could!!

Amanda said...

While I'm sure your visitors will appreciate you keeping track of their likes and dislikes, I don't think hospitality is so much about making everyone's favorite foods...it's more about making people feel at home. And I always felt at home when I went to your house--always felt like you wanted me there and were glad I came. That's the most important thing and you do that so well! I would love to come and have you practice on me. :)

Carri Roman said...

wonderful ideas. Wish i could come next! ;)