I figured I'd use them for when we almost had enough left overs for everybody, but not quite. Ever have those lunches?
We pulled one out today...just one...to heat it up and see what we thought. Wow, Yum!
~Remember all those turkeys I bought last year for $.40/#? Well I think we just used the last one. I say "think" b/c my freezer is pretty full and there could be just one more at the bottom. But I doubt it.
This time I did something different with it. I boiled it. I was pretty tickled when I realized that the whole thing would fit into my biggest pot. I had just assumed that all turkeys are too big for that kinda thing. Here's what happened...
...I cleaned it up, took out the guts, and washed it all over. If you have a 14yo boy lying around the house, this is a good job for him.
...I put it in a pot, covered it with water, put on the lid, and turned the heat to medium.
...I let it boil for about 1/2 the day. Actually I let it boil over a couple of times and had to readjust the heat.
...When the meat was falling off the bone I declared it done and took it off the heat.
...With tongs I pulled the bird out to cool on a platter. That was kinda tricky.
...When it was cool, I had that 14yo boy pull all the meat off the bones. He bagged it for the freezer and I got 4 dinner's worth of meat from it.
...I poured the broth into jars for the freezer (make sure to leave some space) and came out with about 6 quarts of broth.
Why didn't I do this a long time ago?? Clean up was so much easier than baking. And just when I decided I wouldn't fall for that sale again, I think I may have just changed my mind.
See this?
It's a one-handed pepper mill. My mom bought it for me when she was here. My little kids call it the "pepper machine". They are so proud of our pepper machine that when they had a friend over last week they had to show it off to him first thing. Not sure that the 7 yo was as impressed as my boys are with it. Now they need pepper on everything.
I bought a ton of groceries last week and spent almost all my grocery money. I have about $50 to last until the end of the month. At this point that doesn't sound too hard since I have so much food in the house. We'll see. I'm praying for God to show me how to make it stretch.
The fridge was pretty cleaned out from the weekend, which meant there were no leftovers for lunch Monday. I pulled out all the leftover chopped veggies and lots of spinach and scrambled 3 dz eggs with it. I had a loaf of bread working in my bread machine to go with it. When that was done I rinsed it out and filled it up again with cinnamon roll dough. Then I took some pictures b/c I'm still crazy about my new camera. So even though you probably know how to make cinnamon rolls I thought I'd show ya anyway...
When the dough is finished and risen roll it all out into a rectangular type shape and spread butter all over. Real butter please and nothing that comes in a tub.
Then sprinkle sucanat (or brown sugar) and cinnamon all over that.
You can add raisins or nuts at this point, but I didn't.
Roll it up in a jelly roll and let your handsome boy wonder just how long it'll be until he actually gets to have one. (He can do the dishes in the meantime.)
Using dental floss or string of some sort, cut off 1inch pieces. Trust me, this works so much better than a knife.
Place all the pretty rolls onto a baking sheet and bake at 350 until the very first signs of any one of them turning brown. Pay attention and don't let this go too long.
Pull them out with one hand while fighting off drooling kids with the other. And now you can make some icing. Like a powdered sugar one or a cream cheese one or maybe just some honey. Whatever.
Our dinner menu this week:
Monday - friends over for dinner who actually brought dinner with them. I know!
Tuesday - sloppy joes
Wed - Crunchy chicken salad
Thursday- Enchiladas
Friday - pizza
Saturday - whatever LB makes in Co-op class. LOVE that class!!!
Sunday - date night!





No comments:
Post a Comment