Thursday, September 02, 2010

AWANA Night 1

I spent a week praying for my Awana class and wondering who'd be in there.  As far as I  knew, I had no girls.  I read my leader book and thought of different ways to help my kids memorize John 3:16.  I made up hand motions and tried them out on my own kids. 

Then finally it was Wednesday!  And all day I was excited. 

We didn't get to leave as early as I wanted b/c we had to get the van from the shop.  LB was disappointed that the dinner was made before we got there and she didn't get to help.  Hopefully next time.  One of my favorite things about Immanuel is how generous their church is.  They are feeding these kids every week and supplying all Awana materials.  Sweet, b/c most of these kids probably couldn't participate otherwise. 

Dinner was 1/2 bologna sandwich, chips, pickle, lemonade, and ice cream.   I mingled around during dinner talking with some of my guys....asking how their day was, if their new teacher was nice, what they ate for lunch.  

We got started a little late and that cut my class time some.  Turns out I had 9 boys and 1 little girl.  I made a big show of her and told the boys how they were going to treat her in a gentlemanly fashion and she'd always get to go first, so don't ask. 

Many of my kiddos already knew John 3:16 or at least part of it.  And it helps even if you've just heard it before.   They seemed to enjoy the hand motions and the little games.  LB was in my class helping me while Lane was helping Geo with games. 

Caleb is a new friend of mine.  He's the cousin of one of my VBS boys.  A sweet and quiet type but a good participant.   He had a harder time with the verse.  I don't think he'd ever heard it before.  He could remember the hand motions but not the words.   He doesn't have a Bible but he thought there might be one somewhere in the house.  Only he couldn't stay there anymore b/c they didn't have power and now he has to live with so-and-so.   Ooohhhhhh..... I hate the way some of these little ones live. 

He tried hard and was very eager but all too soon our time was up and we had to leave for game time. 
I did have the chance to work with him afterward though.  And I wrote it out on a piece of paper for him to take home.   Oh Lord, bless them with Your Word and let it never return void! 

Wednesday is my new favorite day of the week!

No comments: