Monday, September 13, 2010

Food Talk For This Week

Only a couple of days until payday!  Since I'm over budget that is very good news.  I'm blaming it on the grape sale.  I went overboard on grapes.  But if you asked my kids they'd say I didn't buy near enough!  My freezer is pretty full so I'm making some withdrawals. 

We're out of milk so last night I made a new breakfast cookie recipe for today's breakfast.  It was not my favorite so I'm not going to share it with you but the kids gobbled them up and asked for more.   We also had grapes.

I made these yummy smoothies on Saturday with some over ripe bananas. 


Chocolate Banana Smoothies

1 qt yogurt
3 ripe bananas
1 heaping Tablespoon of cocoa powder
sweetener to taste

I LOVE co-op this semester!  LB's taking a wonderful cooking class where she makes dinner for the whole family each week in class.  I save it for Saturday nights.  Last week she made lasagna and it was terrific.  She's also taking a cake decorating class.  Win Win!

Last week I taught JaJa how to brown hamburger meat.  It's a paid job around here and I'm paying $1/# of browned meat, drained, bagged and labeled for the freezer, and cleaned up.   He's not quite tall enough or strong enough to drain it safely by himself but he can get the bulk of the work done.  And just the willingness to do it, makes me happy.  He made $4. 

I'm planning lots of new recipes for the upcoming weeks.  I got some free cooking magazines from the library to work from.  Some are not as healthy as I'd like but I'm hoping to use them for some hospitality foods. 

A word about that.  Every healthy cook book I've ever read brags about family and guests loving homemade healthy foods b/c it is not something they get everyday.   My experience has been the opposite.   People used to lots of salt, sugar, and refined flours are not so friendly towards healthy foods.  Their taste buds are not accustomed to it.

This week I'm trying lots of new things and I'll pass along the keepers. 

Today..
Breakfast - breakfast cookies and grapes
Lunch - tomato soup and fresh bread
Dinner - spaghetti, salad, bread

Tomorrow..
Breakfast - oatmeal muffins
Lunch - leftovers
Dinner - tuna cakes, mashed potatoes, broccoli

Wednesday
Breakfast - cereal
Lunch - leftovers
Dinner - pizza casserole and salad

Thursday
Breakfast - orange julius and cinnamon swirl toast
Lunch - leftovers
Dinner- Spinach and tomato pasta, salad, bread

Friday
Breakfast - smoothies and toast
Lunch - leftovers
Dinner - pizza

Saturday
Breakfast - Usually Honey makes omelets but he'll be refereeing so I'll hafta come up with something myself.  (I don't really like making Honey's specialty.)   I'm thinking a new recipe called breakfast shortcakes.
Lunch - leftovers
Dinner- whatever LB makes in co-op class (!)

Snacks..
oreo splits
applesauce bread
chocolate peanut butter cookies
smoothies
frozen grapes and popsicles

No comments: