Do you like pie? I could take it or leave it. Nothing special really. But my in-laws only eat pie for Thanksgiving dessert. It's sorta the star of the meal even though I don't think it's anything big. Anyway, I suppose a homemade made from scratch kind of pie is pretty good but hardly anyone makes those anymore.
Understand. Homemade is NOT the same as made from scratch. My mother-in-law makes a crust then fills it with canned pie filling. That's homemade. Some people make the filling but buy the store bought crust. That's homemade. My daughter made an apple pie from apples, flour, sugar, and so forth. That's made from scratch. It took hours.
So I'm challenging myself to make a pumpkin pie from scratch. As in cook the cute pumpkin that's decorating my front porch. Have you ever done this? B/c I don't know how. Or do you want to join me in the challenge to do it for the first time? If so, tell me in my comment section.
I'm thinking of doing it this week or next and I'll blog about it with pictures.
I'm not that great at pie crust. I'm intimidated by them. Mainly b/c I hate using that much white flour and the wheat ones I've made have not been very good..especially for pie. Maybe I need to try rice flour or something?? Anyway, I plan to conquer my pie crust fears and go for it. Wanna join me?
Today's Meals...
Breakfast- cereal
Lunch - tomato soup and grilled cheese
Dinner- meatballs w/noodles and sauteed green beans
Crock Pot Tomato Soup
2 28oz cans tomato puree
1 can chicken broth (or homemade)
2 tsp each onion powder & basil
1 T. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 C. honey
2 1/4 C. water or milk (we like water)
Mix all in crock pot and cook on HIGH until heated through.
9 comments:
Stinkin' pumpkin pie???? If you[re so down on it, why not waste your time making a REAL pie...Say, APPLE!!
I agree - pies are not my favorite and I've only made one from scratch and it wasn't that good - lol! So, no, I don't want to take the challenge and make a from scratch pumpkin pie. Pie crust from scratch is hard to get right to me. If you find an easy recipe that tastes good -send it my way.
Hi! I'm Tracy's sis-in-law who lives in Latvia. Lana posted a crust recipe on her Aug.4. It is almost the same my grandma used called "Never-Fail Pie Crust".
Sift together:
3c. flour
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
Cut in:
1 cup shortening (original says lard...)
1 beaten egg
In a measuring cup combine
1/3 cup cold water
1 T. vinegar
Sprinkle water over other ingredients while tossing with a fork. Mold into flat balls and place in fridge until you need them or form into disks and put in freezer bags and freeze.
Also, I've made pumpkin pies from 'the cute one on my porch'. Just so you are fore warned... they turn out a bit on the 'green' side.
The 'pumpkin' mix you buy in the can is really a mix of sweet potato, I think. Check out the can's ingredients. That's how they get the wonderful orange look...
PS. I make all my pies from scratch. Can't stand recipes that call for a 'can' of this or that!
Thanks for posting your blog. It has been an inspiration to me.
Blessings,
Kaylana
Wow! I don't know what to say about your templet but wow.
Wow!WOw!Wow!
Love you!
a
n
e
:D
bake, rather than boil your pumpkin first - results will be much better!
A long time ago when I was first married I made homemade pies. I never did like the fresh pumpkin for pie though. I like it for cookies and bread but not for pie. I don't like the flavor or the texture. I like the canned stuff. Maybe it's the sweet potato. I didn't know it was in there, I always thought I didn't like sweet potato!
I was contemplating this. Jacob wants the boys to play with a pumpkin and all the goo inside, but I dunno what to do with it after that.
Hillbillyhousewife.com has a GREAT pie crust recipe. http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/easypiecrust.htm
Well, I like my pie crust :)
Never used it for pumpkin pie, but it made a stellar apple pie :^) Luke said so.
Don't you need a special pumpkin for pie?
I dunno how to make pie from raw pumpkin. My mom IS Madame-Made-From-Scratch, and we wouldn't cook a front-porch pumpkin, we always used the cans.
BUT, sweet potatoe pie is excellent. Bake some sweet potatoes and then I'm not sure... Mom knows.... I think you mix it with everything you'd put in a pumpkin pie filling :)
Ok, so I decided to go ahead and try making my own tomato soup without using the campbell's can of soup. This is so easy I hesitate to post it as a recipe but I will anyway. I've always wondered if there was an easy cheaper way to make your basic tomato soup. Your recipe looks yummy, I'll have to try it sometime.
Simple Tomato Soup
1 6oz can tomato paste
3 cans water (or do some milk if you like it creamy)
1 tsp sugar (this cuts down on the sometimes bitter flavor of paste)
Onion powder - to taste
Salt - to taste
That's it. I think you could add more than that if you wanted but I did this and my family all thought it was as good or better than Campbell's. I made a double batch and it fed us twice for less than $1. Not too bad with some grilled cheese.
-Kari
Post a Comment