I'm just about finished reading the book of Joshua. And since I have a son named after him, you could say he's one of my favorite Bible men. Throughout the days of reading through this Book, I've found myself challenged anew by his superb character. I've particularly enjoyed the review of Joshua's relationship with Moses.
Moses, the man God chose to lead his people and to write the first 5 books of His Word was privileged to work at His right hand. The Lord gave him a difficult task, a stubborn people to govern, and needed a man who would totally surrender to His Lordship. Moses' heart was to love God and obey....
"If you are pleased with me, teach me your ways so I may know you and continue to find favor with you." Ex 33: 13
Joshua saw this. And for whatever reason, was able to learn by Moses' example when his peers did not. He was humble enough to be teachable and willing to surrender to God's call on his life.
When his time came to grasp the reins of leadership, Joshua stepped forward without hesitation. He followed in the footsteps of his predecessor proving himself to be faithful, obedient, and thorough....
"As the Lord commanded his servant Moses, so Moses commanded Joshua, and Joshua did it; he left nothing undone of all that the Lord commanded Moses." Joshua 11:15
God has given me a similar charge--to lead my children from the slavery of their sinful hearts to the freedom of His grace. My desire is to be as forthright as Moses and raise up my own flock of Joshuas to lead on. I pray for the qualities of fearless leadership, the wisdom of the Holy Spirit, and God's favor to rest upon us in our journey.
And someday when I'm ready to pass the baton I hope to hear the sweet words of my Savior, "Well done my faithful servant."
No comments:
Post a Comment