Thursday, June 19, 2008

I'm Doing It!

This week has marked a new beginning and I want to blog about it to sort of feel accountable. I've exercised on purpose for 4 days in a row! I've wanted to for so long and I'm hoping to persevere long enough to establish a life long habit...not just a phase.

Yep, I call myself a runner. Running sounds so much more athletic than jogging doesn't it? Sort of like carrying a bottle of water just makes you feel healthier than a can of coke. And since I'm not naturally athletic I need all the help I can get. I certainly use the term loosely (although it's really fun to say!).

So I grabbed my iPod, my dog, and my tennis shoes and hit the road. I did seek advice before I headed out on how to begin. Seems like you shouldn't need help to know how to run, but like I said I need all the help I can get. There's even a whole store here for runners, and books, and magazines. Who knew?

I'm working my way up doing the walk more than run method. And on day 1 I was pretty sure I wasn't going to make it to the first tree. Huffing and puffing. Pitiful. I am SO out of shape.

Day 2 was better. I had the whole park to myself. That meant I could sing out loud. The weather was fantastic, a little on the chilly side. There was a family of ducks that wasn't there the day before. A mom and 7 little ducklings...just like you Tracy! I ran a little farther and a little longer. My time was a little tighter that morning so I didn't stay out as long as I would've liked.

By day 3 I was feeling the pain of the first 2 days. Apparently you use different muscles when you run than when you walk. Its a good feeling though. Anyway, there were quite a few people and dogs at my park (no singing) so I cut through the back to follow the creek. It led to an elementary school yard that I didn't know about with a running track!! Oh yes! Joey and I had the place to ourselves. I could see a difference in my stamina in just 3 days. Amazing!

Today was day 4. I stayed up too late last night and slept too long. No running. So I did some weight training and stretching exercises this afternoon. Probably I needed the break, but I did not want to let the day go by when I'm trying to establish a new habit.

I'm planning on running in the morning, and Honey and I are going to bike Waterton in the afternoon. I bike worse than I run. It's a sight to see...and laugh at.

4 comments:

the momma said...

you go girl! I am so proud of you!!

I have never aspired to be a runner, and I doubt even you could inspire me to want to ~ but - I DO need to excercise regularly. I would dearly love to go to the hospital weighting no more than I weigh now.... Keep us posted & maybe, just maybe, you'll get me off my duff, too :-)

the momma said...

um, that would be weighing. duh.

TaggTroop said...

Oh my, exercising while pregnant was the last thing I wanted to do. But really walking to the car can count too can't it?

Anonymous said...

Yay!! Marshall has tried to get me to run since I can't remember when. I tried some when we were courting...you know, you'll do most anything to please...After AC was born (like 3 months after) I started doing a short workout program 5 days a week in the morning. It felt wonderful!! We have recently joined a gym and go a few days a week...I'm needing to stay in shape...now that I'm an incubator. How's that for an announcement?