My 7yo son was squabbling with his 10yo sister.
"You can't command me!"
She was helping him pick out his church clothes. Usually his brother helps him with that b/c they are buddies, but today she was doing it. This little boy definitely needs help when it comes to clothes. All weekend he has been wearing his little brother's pants that do not even go down to his socks. Instead of being thankful for her help, he was resenting the fact that she was telling him what to do.
Now sometimes my daughter does "lord it over" him and that could've been the case. I'm really not sure since I was upstairs. They both came into my room irritated with the other and seeking help. I needed some time to think so I sent them to wait on the couch.
Figuring this would be a good lesson for all, I called a meeting and we discussed "Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ".
I confess that sometimes I "fear" getting out of bed and starting the day. You never do know what a day may bring, and there are times when I don't even like to think about all the possibilities. There are so many variables with so many people. I need wisdom and patience and to just walk. Walk and pray and do. Trust and don't over- think it all.
Selfishly, I sometimes wish I could do something different. I have friends that have kids in school, they have house keepers, they have the day to do *whatever*! I do not mean to sound jealous or unthankful...I'm not (really!). I'm so happy to have all these sweet kids and a husband who works so hard for me to stay home. And I know that God calls each of us to something different. It is just that there are times when I do wish that were me...just for a day. Not for forever.
But then I know that I would miss my kids terribly. I *am* rather fond of them you know and I'm used to having them around. I'm sure I'd get very bored spending my days doing whatever it is I'd do. And besides, who would give them the mini-sermons they've grown accustomed to?
2 comments:
A mutual friend gave me your blog address. I have seven kids and live in Colorado. Thank you for writing with so much raw honesty; it is encouraging. I recently told my husband (at the end of a hard day with the kids), "Someday, when our house is always clean, we have more money to play with, nothing ever gets broken or undone, I have all day to have lunch with friends, etc, we will terribly miss these precious children."
True True. I feel overwhelmed with just one so often! Today I have been catching up from being out of town on Saturday and at my inlaws all day yesterday. Need to finish tagging my clothes for the GKS. But between AC not taking her morning nap (partially my fault, I thought it would be sweet if we napped together...she slept 2 minutes and then sat up confused and irritated and threw a huge fit when I put her in her bed) and then the meals, clean up and chasing a growing lil crawler...My o my. But life is good. When I was gone on Saturday, I had this huge ache to hold my baby girl. Couldn't wait to see her! And now I have a few minutes to eat my lunch and check on your blog! Thanks, God. :)
Post a Comment