Being the girl I am, I hate creepy crawlies. Worms are on the top of that list b/c they are creepy, crawly, and slimy which makes them extra disgusting.
The Lord has blessed me with a most precious 6 year old son. His reading book happens to be a nature reader and we recently finished the chapter about worms. Did you know that worms are actually kinda cool? I mean they have all sorts of good purpose that I would've never have dreamed.
As I'm reading Don't Waste Your Life, the worm comes to mind as a creature that fulfills God's purpose and brings him glory. There is nothing about a worm that is wasted.
I'm pretty sure I learned more from that nature chapter than he did.
My son and I were walking around the block when he finds a huge (like 6 inch!) worm on the street. He says, "Mom, I hafta save it!" He knew that the worm shouldn't be in the hot sun on the concrete. He picks him up and puts him in the wet grass. And my mother heart rejoices over my little guy who loves God's creation.
I'm reminded of my Savior who stoops down to make me great. "to the One who remembered us in our low estate and freed us from our enemies." Ps 136:23-24
Yesterday my 7yo son was remembering the bird that kept slamming himself into my bathroom window last spring. Weird. But he says, "I don't really like birds anyway." When I asked him why he said, "Because they eat the worms."
But Son, don't you see that that's God's good purpose for that worm. By dying, the worm is actually fulfilling God's design. He created him for that very thing and the worm does it perfectly. It's also a tiny picture of Christ laying down his life that we may live....but that's another lesson.
"and who gives food to every creature. Give thanks to the God of heaven." Ps 136:25-26
No comments:
Post a Comment