Wanna hear a funny story? This is one of mine and my grandmother's favorite memories of when I was little.
The Cemetery
I was about 8. Around the corner from my grandmother's house there sat a small cemetery. Not the pretty ones like you see today but more like the older types that are surrounded by chain link and not cared for as well.
While visiting with her one day I asked if she wanted to go and see that cemetery. I had never been to one before and wanted to check it out. Sorta. I was also a leeetle scared. But my grandmother is never one to pass up anything new or interesting so she said "Sure!"
We walked over, just the two of us. We looked all over the place at all the stones and talked about all the people. One of our favorite past times was to pick out strangers in public and make up "lives" for them. It was no different with dead people.
But then we came upon a baby's grave. It had no stone but only a small temporary looking marker even though it was very old. I felt so sorry for this baby that I wanted to run back home and get some flowers for it.
Of course, Grandmother said "yes". She dug around and found some plastic flowers and started preparing for our walk back. But I was stalling. Asking dumb questions. Making excuses. Wondering if Grandmother was too tired. Or maybe we should get a sandwich. And was it almost time for that show to come on that we wanted to watch?
She saw right through it. Somehow between the baby's grave and the walk home I was so freaked out and too scared to go back!
How we laugh at that now. And hardly a time passes when we're together that one of us doesn't bring it up.

No comments:
Post a Comment