Thursday, August 26, 2010

Make Me A Noah

I'm spending some time in Genesis and finding new truths in a familiar book.  I find myself wishing there was more about certain people in the Bible.  Like what they thought and the specific things they did in the day-to-day. 

Exactly how did Enoch walk with God and become so pleasing to Him that "he was no more"?  Enoch especially is one that I'd like to spend some time getting to know. 

But this week I'm thinking on God's commands vs man's reasoning.   How easy it is to reason ourselves away from the things God asks. 

In chapter 2 verse 17 God says clearly, "but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die."   Pretty clear cut with even the consequence attached. 

But Eve, after being tempted by Satan, reasons herself away from God's best. 
She saw "that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it."  (3:7)  She relied on her senses and not on God's Word. 

Oswald Chambers says, "Never enthrone common sense.  Our ordinary wits will never worship God." 

I imagine Eve asking herself, "now what was wrong with this again?" 
Asking what is wrong with something is the wrong question btw. 

And then there is Noah. 
"But Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord." (6:8)
"Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked with God."  (6:9)
"Noah did everything just as God commanded him." (6:22)

This man did not enthrone common sense.  It appears that he relied on God moment-by-moment and obviously stood alone.  In all the time it took to build the ark did he ever wonder if he misunderstood the Word of God?  It doesn't matter.  He did not waver, but "did everything just as God commanded." 

I want that to be me.  I want to be a Noah.  But I find myself being caught up in my own reasoning.  Making a mental list of good vs bad.  

But Noah walked with God, Enoch walked with God, and my earnest prayer is that I will walk with God.  That my family will walk with God.  That wherever He leads we will follow and not reason ourselves on a different road. 

No comments: