Monday, October 05, 2009

Now THAT'S More Like It!

This Sunday was totally different from last. I think the fact that it took me 3 days to recover from last Sunday helped me to plan better throughout the week!

I worked all day Saturday on the clothes exchange so there were plenty of "new" clothes to choose from and lay out for Sunday.

We visited another church. It was a fun visit b/c there are so many people we enjoy in this church. I was also surprised to see lots of people that I didn't know went there. There is one friend in particular that I've been thinking about a lot. Carol and I have been friends for about 12 years. Her daughters used to babysit mine. How happy I was to see her sitting waayyyy across the church! I couldn't wait til it was over so I could run over there. And you know that thing that happens when someone sees you that hasn't seen you in a long time and their whole face shows excitement when you walk up? Well, that's what happened when I saw my old friend Carol. Huge hug! I almost cried.

It was a perfect drizzly lazy day. Just right for a Sabbath. Lunch was warming in the oven and waiting for us when we got home. (Leftover BBQ from Saturday's dinner.)

I took a short nap with ZBaby in his bed. Oh the sweetness....

Everyone spent the afternoon playing around, piddling in the garage, reading, whatever.

I watched my first Rachel Ray episode since I moved back home. Inspired, I played around in the kitchen and experimented with some yogurt salad dressings.

I remembered to get a paper (!) and Nate and I looked through the coupons together while Mally admired all the clothes in the Kohl's ad.

Date night was simple. Mac & cheese for the kids, steaks on the grill for us. Candles on the table and more talk about church and such. Then we sipped the first mugs of hot chocolate of the season watching AFV under a blanket. Nice!

This is what I wish every Sunday was like. There is a learning curve I'm afraid. And I'm learning how I have to plan the week in order to make it happen. Just as I would take time to prepare for a vacation, I'm learning that time and effort is involved to prepare for a Sabbath.
But Oh, it is worth it!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely day! Sounds perfect. Isn't is so restful to the spirit when it's like that? And I think you're right...we have to be very intentional for it to happen! I need to work on that.

May this be the first of many more!

Wendy

Unknown said...

Glad you had such a good day!!

Reminds me of when God told the Israelites to collect enough manna for the sabbath on the day before the sabbath...
I think many Jewish people still keep that pattern - preparing the day before so they don't have to do work on the day of rest.
I used to be good at getting something ready on saturday night to put in the crockpot on sunday (Luke often started lunch, actually!), but I dunno, at some point I stopped doing that...
Need to get back in the habit :)
it'll be even more important once Algie is part of our getting ready routine.
Thanks for the encouragement. Glad your sunday went well. My momma was happy to see you again.