Wednesday, October 21, 2009

My Thoughts On The Shack by William Paul Young


I finally finished it! And while I wasn't too sure I liked it at first, toward the end I decided it wasn't too bad.

Mack Phillips is a loving father who suffers a horrible, unthinkable loss. He deals with it the best he can, but it leaves a rift in his relationship with God. He lives with The Great Sadness that is a constant companion.

One day he gets a mysterious note in his mailbox. It is from God asking to meet with Mack at the very spot where The Great Sadness occurred. After much deliberation, Mack goes and has an unbelievable encounter with God.

God does not appear to Mack in a way that you would imagine. Actually the entire story is very unpredictable and that makes it pretty interesting. It takes God out of any box and emphasizes His love for a relationship with his children.

This book is very down-to-earth and easy to read. There are many parts that made me stop and think. And above all, it was a good reminder that I serve the God of relationships.

That said, it wasn't a show stopper for me. I don't understand all the hullaballoo over it. It's fiction. Nothing more. The author is not trying to pass it off as a true story and he states clearly that it's not. And while it is not doctrinally solid, I don't see it as dangerous either....providing you keep in mind that it is fiction and nothing more.

1 comment:

Aspiring Mom2three said...

I read this a few years ago, and started to read it with hubby. It was one of those books that took me a while to read but did make me stop to think about the "box" I had put God in. It is hard for me to process so many deep thoughts and my mind is usually shot by the end of the day, so I did a TON of rereading on this one.