Honey and I are frequently asked about our date nights and how we do it with so many little ones. I was going to do a re-post on it but when I did a query on my blog nothing showed up. Weird, I'm sure I've talked about this before....haven't I? Oh well, here it goes for the first time I guess.
When Meg and Lane were little and I was pregnant with our son, I heard Pam McDonald speak to our homeschool group. How the Lord has used that talk over the years! One of things she touched on was the way they do their date nights. At the time, she and her husband had 8 children. I ran with the idea and we've enjoyed it ever since.
Meg and Lane were 4 and 2yo at the time. We told them they were going to play in their room VERY quietly at 7pm and put themselves to bed at 8pm. This does take training in the beginning, but it is worth it in the end! As our family has grown, we've had many a nursling included on date night. But as soon as they are big enough to not need Momma, they learn the whole date night routine with the big kids. We feed them early, clean up, then off to their rooms not to be seen for the rest of the night.
It wasn't always Sunday nights. It started out being whatever night was 1/2 price night at the movie store and B1G1 night at Sonic. Honey would slip out to buy burgers while I got the girls settled. We would eat and watch the movie and talk and catch up.
Somewhere along the way it got moved to Sundays and that's where it's stayed for years. We hardly ever go out to eat but it is an option now and then. I will usually use the opportunity to fix something that I wouldn't make for the whole family. Sometimes I will pick up something from Sams during the week to save for date night. And once in a while we'll get take out. I usually set the table pretty with candles but sometimes we sit at the coffee table and watch tv. If the weather is nice we might take a walk or get a snow cone. There's no rule. Just whatever we feel like.
The point is to be alone together reconnecting and catching up. We guard this date night time and if for some reason the Sunday time slot must include something else, we'll reschedule our time. It is the perfect way to end the week and gear up for the next!
1 comment:
THIS SOUNDS so worth the training effort. Thanks for the tip. OH and the Avocado Hummus sounds wonderful!
Post a Comment