
This is one of my favorite pictures of my boys. Aren't they great?
About boys. If you have more than one you know that one of their favorite pastimes is seeing who can burp the loudest. This carries over to other gas related competition as well. I guess it's all fine and good at home but when you go out and all of a sudden you hear "BLEZZCKK!" it's not so fine anymore. I turn around and see the proud smile (all teeth) on my boy and the surprised (Oh my!) look on everyone else's faces. I tell them no burping (or other gas passing) in public but they either lack the personal awareness of where they are, or they just can't resist...not sure which.
So it seems like the logical thing to do would be banning all such competition at home as well as public but at the same time it seems like I'm denying them a rite of boyhood. What do you think? Renee, Shannon, Janice....those of you with boys.
7 comments:
Well...I don't think it will damage any of their "boyhood" to ban the gas contests. :) I guess I try to think of "#1 how do responsible young men act?" "#2 when do certain activities go beyond childnesses into foolishness?" Then aim toward that goal, understanding that each boy has different levels of maturity along the path to the goal of "responsible young manhood." To me this is another area where they need to learn to practice some self control out of consideration to others etc. It's another opportunity to teach the "there is a time and a place for everything" kind of a thing. Another example ...boys have a tendency toward getting dirty too. It's great with me for them to get dirty, but it's not great with me for them to coat themselves in mud and dirt and then come in the house and just make themselves at home without cleaning themselves up some first.
To me it seems that boys have lots of tendencies which left "unbridled" can be at best unpleasant for those around them but at worst literally devastating to themselves and those around them. I try very hard to on one hand let my boys be boys while not having a "boys will be boys" kind of attitude. We've had plenty of laughter around here over the miriad of noises that boys can make with various parts of their bodies even without the contests. LOL...
A totally outnumbered but not so fun mom to boys...
Renee
BTW...GREAT picture!
Renee
I am fine with the gas contests...We are the ones embarrased. As they get older and trying to impress their future wives, they'll probably hold it in...but, not for long. I am sure that everyone that reads this has had a little gas now and then..and maybe, just maybe, tried to out do their husbands! :-)
heeheee.....
Well, as one with a lot of BROTHERS, I personally think that if boys have their competitions, it should be recommended that these not be held in the presence of ladies :) I kinda thought it was gross when they did it at the table :D But, they thought it was really funny. And sometimes, they're cute enough that their laughter was contagious, lol. I love little boys...
Actually, I was being silly in my previous response. They definitely need to learn manners. In some cultures, it's actually rude NOT to burp after a meal..so, if they lived their, they would behave appropriately! I wonder if we lived in that type of culture if moms blog about how their rude little boys don't burp at the table!!! Lol
My guys don't really have a contest to see who is the loudest or anything. They just congratulate each other on loudness and tone. They know that if there is food anywhere in sight they better hold everything!!! I guess I have been blessed that this really hasn't been an issue in public yet.
It's a good opportunity to learn self control...This opinion coming from a mom of a 5 week old boy, thinking ahead. :o)
Post a Comment