Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Top 10

I love making new schedules. I have to do it ever so often when we outgrow our current one. It is also fun to look back at my old schedules and see how we've changed throughout the years. I have lots of them. Now since I have so many more to manage my schedule must be more detailed than it used to be. I have to write everything down!

I'm toying with the idea of starting the flylady thing. I've played with it for a long time off and on, reading on the web site and getting the e-mails. But this time I might do it for real. I need the book. My library has a few copies and the last time I checked it had several holds on it. I guess everyone has the same idea.

I start my new schedule working by praying and asking God to define my priorities. Here is a list of my new top ten priorities for my little ones. I call it my "Top Ten For Tots"....

1. Pray for them. Night time is usually my best time for this. Sometimes I'm too tired though so I can't always count on it. I pray for them as I'm folding their clothes. A new for me is praying for them when I tie their shoes...praying that they will have what God calls "beautiful feet that bring good news", praying that their feet follow ways that are firm, and that they will not stumble. I'm not in a hurry to teach shoe tying.

2. Smile and be cheerful for them. Set the example for joy, peace, and thanksgiving. Enjoy my work. "Where there are no oxen the manger is empty, but with the strength of an ox comes an abundant harvest." (I like this Proverb.)

3. Read to them. Not only for the sake of reading but also for the sake of sitting and cuddling and spending quiet time together.

4. Recite Scripture and memorize together.

5. Teach them meaningful work.

6. Play with them/Listen to them. My little ones are easy to play with but big ones can be too. I like to read the books my girls suggest to me. Or to watch a movie that they like. My older son is a huge game player and the only way I have a chance against him at foosball is to make him play one handed-left handed. He likes to show me his coin collection and where he puts certain coins. All of my kids like to chat. I'm trying to be a good listener.

7. Take them outside. Oh, this is hard! I tend to be a stay-in-the-house type. Being outside is good for me and it delights my little ones when I watch them show off something new.

8. Help them love others and put others first.

9. Teach them good manners.

10. Hug them and kiss them and touch them!

Lots of these will overlap. I won't cover it all everyday. But having an official list to look back on will help keep me on the right track and remind me to keep working when my days seem to spin out from under me.

More later as our new schedule takes shape....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being a mother is an awesome task! ~EmilyJ

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a good top ten for husbands and wives too. I'd love to tie your shoes and pray for you! :-)

Anonymous said...

next time she is great with child that may be a real service, both the shoe tying and the praying!