Friday, June 29, 2007

Granddaddy

Granddaddy called me yesterday. He is not a man of many words and doesn't call often. It was good to hear from him. It made my day.

We talked about CO. I used to go there with him and Nanny on vacation in the summers. He told me about a time when I was little and we climbed up to Seven Falls and wrote a song together. How I wish I remembered that! I do remember climbing down a mountain to see a wrecked bus and almost not making it back up. We laughed a while about that memory!

We used to fish a lot in CO. I would get my line all tangled up and he would give me his pole while he fixed mine. By the time he was done, I would have tangled up his pole and we'd have to switch again. I don't know how Granddaddy ever caught any fish at all!

I have so many good memories with Nanny and Granddaddy. Mom and I used to go out to eat with them on Fridays and I would usually spend the night. Granddaddy and I would eat olives out of the jar on his bed and watch Gunsmoke. He let me drink the last little bit of his coffee in his cup when he was done. Life was good.

Now I don't live close to him anymore. I send him cards and letters occasionally as well as our family newsletter. He calls me now and then. Now I'm moving even farther away. I told him to visit me in CO and this time I'd take *him* fishing!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

how sweet. you make my heart ache today!

jodie