I'm reading in Ezekiel 33 this morning and I wanted to blog some observations. Eze is a hard book for me. I'm taking it slow and asking the Lord to show me what He wants me to know.
In Chapter 33, it starts off talking about the principle of a watchman. If an appointed watchman sees danger, blows the horn, and the people do not flee then their blood is on their own heads. They were warned. However if the watchman sees danger and does not blow the whistle then the Lord will hold him accountable for the blood of the people.
This job of a watchman reminded me of the job God has given to parents. We are to be as a watchman over our children teaching them right and wrong, helping them make good choices and steering them away from danger. I've noticed that as I have teenagers, my teaching changes. For my little kids, I am everything...teaching them the most simple basics of how to use the potty and share the last cookie. For my older kids, I am steering them in the ways of their thinking, pointing out danger, and giving bits of wisdom. Blowing the horn, oh so often!!
My kids' job is to heed that warning. Prov 4:10-11 "Listen, my son, accept what I say, and the years of your life will be many. I guide you in the way of wisdom and lead you along straight paths."
Why would someone not heed a watchman's warning if it meant his life? 2 reasons. 1st is that the watchman has not proven himself trustworthy. I need to earn the trust of my little ones. I need to be faithful to them in everything. 2nd is the pride of thinking that you're smarter than the watchman. God tells Eze that will happen to him.
V32 "Indeed, to them you are nothing more than one who sings love songs with a beautiful voice and plays an instrument well, for they hear your words but do not put them into practice."
As parents we have a short time in our children's lives that we can not only sound a warning, but actually move them away from danger until they are old enough to move themselves. I hear moms complain about the bad influences in their children's school or Sunday school. The bad language they come home with, the things they learn from others. And while the watchman may tell them this is wrong, what can be done? The 2nd grader can not flee on his own. Mom does not help him heed the warning and move him from the danger. He still must enter his public classroom everyday or Sunday school every week. What is this teaching our little ones under our care? To simply listen to the warning as you would a song, but not put it into practice? Who will be held accountable for the things being chipped away in their hearts and the jading that is slowing corrupting one that is meant to be pure and innocent?
Reading this has made me thankful for this day to be the watchman over my children.....for the privilege of homeschooling and sheltering them.
Lord, please make me a faithful watchman. Give me wisdom and the courage to act when necessary. Please give my little ones trusting hearts and obedience to follow. Amen.
1 comment:
I like this post Honey! You are such a good watchman.
Loves!
Post a Comment