Sunday, January 28, 2007

Honey's Day

The kids were in bed last night and we were sitting on the couch talking. He said to me, "I feel like I ought to be *doing* something". I replied, "You've done so much today!" He looked at me blankly and said, "Oh yeah, I replaced the shower head".
WHAT?!! Oh no, it was much more. Let's see....

He slept in 4yo's bed the night before and created a tent with the spiderman blanket that they loved this morning.

Before he even got out of bed, he watched some sort of soccer footage with #3 on the portable dvd player.

He cooked special order eggs for everyone.

He practiced soccer drills with 5yo.

He took a lot of time bundling little boys up to play outside. When he handed 2yo an orange hat, he rejected it saying "A boy one please." He dug through the boxes to find everyone hats and gloves that they liked.

He aired up tires and took everyone around the block a couple of times for a bike ride.

He was patient with 2yo on his bike. When I asked how he did, he said "He was slow but diligent". He doesn't know how to peddle yet.

He kept everyone downstairs quietly and let me take a huge nap.

He got several work calls throughout the day. He handled it patiently even though he hates it, never saying a negative word.

He played his guitar and sang songs with 12yo.

He printed out a picture for #1 to submit with her essay contest.

He took 7 kids to Walmart after dinner!! Is he the hero or what? Shortly after getting there, 5yo had to go to the bathroom. 10 minutes later 2yo had to go.

I e-mailed him a list on his blackberry and he picked up what I needed and saved me a trip next week.

He let the kids pick out Valentine paper to make valentines, bought the boys a new t-shirt, and #2 some new socks. Oh, he also bought a new fish for the fish tank. That was a big hit!!

He didn't buy the water saver shower head. The girls are happy!

He got the boys ready for bed.

He watched a movie with me.

He wrote love notes to everyone in the house for their mailboxes, even to Baby Girl.

He got a work call at 4am(!). He got up and worked on the laptop, never complaining or sighing.

Oh yeah, and he changed a shower head.

How easy it is to dismiss the important things as "nothing". I, too, tend to measure the productivity of the day based on what I crossed off my planner. He spent the whole day blessing his family. Doing things that will count for eternity. Anyone can replace a broken shower head. Only he can bless us as he did this weekend.

Thank you Honey for all your sweetness this weekend. I praise the Lord for you.
I love you.



No comments: