Monday, January 08, 2007

1 Timothy

I read 1 Timothy yesterday. Even though Paul was writing to Timothy (and not to moms), I thought it had some good principles that I could apply.

In V.3 he told him to "stay there in Ephesus" so that he could spend the time correcting wrong ideas. This helped me make a couple of decisions regarding my schedule this week. How can I have the time to correct those under me if I am out and about doing this and that. So I'm out of tomato puree and can't make my favorite spaghetti sauce, I'll save a trip to the store and come up with a different spaghetti sauce. (I think there's one in my Rachel Ray book)

Ch 2 starts with Paul saying that "requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone--for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness". This reminded me to pray for my husband. What a huge load of responsibility he has to lead this family. Praying for him helps me to release concerns to the Lord and trust Him to work it out leaving me more peaceful.

V.9 speaks of how women should dress modestly. I used to only think of modesty in terms of not too tight, too short, too low, too see-through. But it also means humble instead of extravagant. Another thing to always be teaching my kids.

Here's my favorite. Ch 4, V.12 "set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity." This is my hardest one. I can tell my kids something all day but until I act it out in example they will have a hard time following. Especially my older ones. It's much easier to talk than to act.

My mom was visiting once and we got on the subject of how we open mail. I've never paid attention to how I open the mail. I just open it. All my big kids gave a detailed description to G'ma of just how I do it. Funny the things they pay attention to. I watched #1 open her b-day cards and she does it just like me.

Ch 4, V. 10 "we have put our hope in the living God, who is Savior of all men, and especially of those who believe." LIVING God, here and now, and in the middle of what I'm doing.

Ch 6:6 "But godliness with contentment is great gain.

Ch 6:20 "guard what has been entrusted to your care. Turn away from godless chatter and the opposing ideas of what is falsely called knowledge, which some have professed and in so doing have wandered from the faith." This will help me today when I revisit the topic of youth group/friendship relationships that resurfaced this morning. You never know what will come up. Good thing our hope is in the living God. I would never know what to say on my own.

No comments: