Friday, June 09, 2006

Summer School Program

Have you ever read Dale Carnegie's book How To Win Friends And Influence People? I read it years ago and I am re-reading it again. It's a great book to help you with husbands and children. ;-)

Since my nephew has been visiting it has made my kids wise to the summer vacation idea. We've always schooled through the summer with no problems. Now there is a spirit of discontentment. I'm sure I sound like a tyrant, but I just hate the idea of wasting 3 whole months just playing and being lazy.

In his book he talks about getting people to do what you want them to do without them knowing it. I decided to do a summer school incentive program.

I put a dollar amount on every item of school work or every book read. By the end of June, we would add up everyone's earnings and I would put them into individual envelopes to be used for Christmas money. (They always love buying Christmas presents) I gave them the option to participate or not. They jumped all over this idea! Even Nephew!

I think they will even do more school work than if I had assigned a regular day. There is no discontentment and they are using their time well. I'm SO excited....although I may be broke by the end of June!

If you haven't read this book, grab a copy. It's a great read!

No comments: