We had a family meeting last night to re-visit the dog food thing. I think it went well. We can laugh about it now. This morning in my quiet time I was reviewing my new verse and realized how perfectly it fit.
"See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ. " Col 2:8
Isn't that perfect!? I had that verse before the dog food incident. God knew.
I haven't introduced this one to the kids yet so this morning I will. I'm glad to have an example to tie it to! That verse is a perfect warning against peer pressure. I plan to explain to them that peer pressure never ends. It does not seem to be exclusive to children or teens even though that is how we usually think of it. I, like them, have to be careful of being led astray in actions or thoughts.
It also brings to mind what my pastor says about some people "catching" their world view. It is those who watch way too much news, listen to the folks at work, the nay sayers, etc. and just adopt their ideas without checking them out for themselves or measuring them against God's Word. I don't want to be like that and I especially don't want my children to be like that.
How can we guard against it? The verse right above that one says
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness."
Isn't that wonderful? I can't wait to show this to my kids this morning!
No comments:
Post a Comment