Monday, January 10, 2011

Redemption Part 2

This is part 2 of our new sermon series at church. This week's focus is regeneration. To listen to my pastor's sermon last week and this week click here. He says it better than I do!

Regeneration - Born Again! John 3:1-10 (and just like last week, I will link all Scripture to Biblegateway.com so it's only a click away!)

A simple definition of regeneration is the work of God when He reaches inside of you and changes you. We also call this being "born again". And something interesting about that is that the word 'again' when translated from the Greek has a 2 part meaning. It means 'again' and 'from above'. As in, it is a work from God only and not us. Eph 2:4-5

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead." 1Peter 1:3

How does it work?
~God draws people through our giving the Gospel call.
~It is a mystery (like the wind). Don't drive yourself crazy trying to figure it out, just believe.
"The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit." John 3:8
Regeneration produces results.
If God's Spirit is inside of you it will respond to the Spirit of God. It is also called Irresistible Grace.
"And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws. You will live in the land I gave your forefathers; you will be my people and I will be your God. " Eze 36:27-28 (and 1 John 3:9)
It is radical. (I love this word and whenever my pastor says it my family all smiles b/c it reminds us of Pastor Les. Anyway...).

"I will sprinkle clean water on you and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols. I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh." Eze 36: 25-26

Isn't that awesome? Do you struggle with a heart of stone? I love the promise there...
Have you been born again? If so, are there results? Do you see growth, change, faith, love? If you're not sure then I urge you to respond to the Gospel call.
You are a sinner and separated from God. But because He loves you so much, He sent His son Jesus Christ to take your sin upon Him so that you can live eternally and have a relationship with God the Father. There is a great exchange that takes place where your filth is transferred to Jesus and His righteousness is transferred to you. And to receive this, all you have to do is ask! Pray and tell God that you know you are a sinner and ask for the free gift of his grace through Jesus.

No comments: