Thursday, January 20, 2011

Awana

An interesting night to be sure.

Only 3 in my class this week. Tis flu season ya know and lots of ppl were gone, including teachers. I enjoyed my boys though and we got to work. Only they were bouncing off the walls! And I couldn't seem to settle them down. I threatened them with push-ups..and they thought it was funny. Then MJ asked if that was like a strike. (The Awana policy is 3 strikes and you're out.) Pleeeeeze, like I would ever give one of my guys a strike!? Perish the thought.
So I just smiled and suggested a game. I pulled out a Bible and we had a race to see who could memorize the best. I picked a long hard Verse. And I lost! (Have I told you how smart they are?)
Game time for my littles and I got to fill in for the 5th-6th grade boys' teacher. Fifth and Sixth grade boys. And I only knew one of them. There were 5 and 4 were new. And did I mention one of them was a 16yo girl? And nobody had a book. And they were all over the place. Apparently there was some sort of competition to see who could be the most obnoxious.
My tactics I use on my littles would certainly not work here.

So I pulled out my camera and immediately got their attention. "Will you put it on FB?"
"Can I see?" "Wait that was a bad one, do it again."

Finally. And by the grace of God they all happened to sit down at the same time. I was trying to learn names. I came to the last 2 who would NOT tell me their names. So I told them I would call them Fred and Lucy. For whatever reason, this was hilarious and they decided to talk. Lucy's name is Kaylie and Fred's name is....Erica. Fred is a girl? I thought I misunderstood so I asked him to spell it. Yep, I'm an idiot.

Ok, 3 rowdy boys and 2 teenage girls. And there was not a chance in the world I was going to try to work on any Awana stuff with this group. So I told them we'd have a quiz with prizes. I always have prizes in my Awana bag. I dig through. No prizes. I did uncover a green lifesaver and a tiny bottle of bubbles from Halloween. And you would've thought they were five dollar bills.

I had their attention. And just started talking. Asking them specific questions about God, telling them about Ps 147:5, and talking about the Way to heaven. They opened up, settled down, had lots of questions. Lots of comments. Totally involved.

And I was blessed.

Erica asked me if she could sit with me at dinner b/c she wanted to talk. Oh yes.
I shared my food with her and we talked about her life.

I am wow-ed and humbled.

I pray that Mr. Barry is feeling better, but I really hope I get a chance to have his class again.

Side note: Thank you for praying for MJ and Stormy. They went back to court and now get to have their momma every weekend! So much better. It looks like they will get to go home permanently soon. MJ was so excited telling us about his new apartment...and even his cat Boo was there!! We prayed in class and gave thanks to God for answering this little boy's prayer. Happy boy. Happy Awana teacher. Thank you God!

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Thank the Lord you must be better...you were able to do Awana last night! Yay! Sounded like a God-night for sure. Hope your back pain is a thing of the past.

Rejoicing with you!