Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Food Talk

I haven't gotten back into the menu swing since the holidays. Payday is Friday and I knew it was cutting it close ...both in money and food, so during piano I made up our menu for the rest of the week trying to remember what was left at home.

After a short trip to the store I was happy to still have $13 in my food envelope with nothing else to buy.

Here's what we're eating...
Dinners - spaghetti, bread, salad
Owen Chicken and rice with chips
Pizza

Lunches - pb&j sandwiches and apples
leftovers

As for breakfasts, I really don't know. You see I just gave LB the breakfast jurisdiction. Planning and fixing. I think tomorrow is cream of wheat and pumpkin bread sometime after that.

Tonight I made our favorite pancake recipe. I do NOT like making pancakes b/c it's so messy and takes forever. But we had the stuff.

Oatmeal Pancakes

4 C flour
4 C oats
2 T baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp salt

Mix all dry ingredients and make a well in the center. Then add...

6 1/2 C milk
1 C flax seed mixture (or 4 eggs)
1 C melted butter
1/4 C honey

Mix everything and fry on griddle.

If you're looking for fluffy golden pancakes, you won't find them here. These are the ugliest pancakes you've ever seen. No matter what I do, I can't make them pretty. But they are healthy, filling, and yummy.

I also made some sausage with some ground turkey I had the freezer and some strawberry syrup.

Bananas!! 10 cents a pound was a screaming deal and we bought a ton. We loaded them up on the puzzle table and stacked them high.

The first order of business was banana pudding. This silenced those that were making fun of me and my bananas. Then there were smoothies and banana bread and one of my kids' faves....sliced bananas tossed with coconut.

And anytime anybody wanted a snack the answer was the same : banana.

I also made Abigail's banana bread recipe b/c I fell in love with it when she made it at church. But apparently Abigail's banana bread recipe only works for Abigail. Mine was gross. So maybe she can come over and walk me through it step-by-step? Pleeeeze???

The stack was dwindling and got moved to the fireplace. Finally it was time for the freezer. All hands were busy peeling and packing bananas into freezer bags.


Love it!

And then it was time to deal with some apples. The plan was to can some applesauce. And my little people had a special request "white applesauce". That means applesauce made without the peels. Purists.

I didn't wanna waste them though so I got out another crockpot to add some butter, honey, and cinnamon to them and serve up later.



And then these guys came in and cleaned me out!

So all I had left was one crockpot of apples which cooked down to 1/2 a crockpot of applesauce. The bandits hit again and by the time everyone was done I had 1 pint of applesauce. No canning this time.

Time to start menuing for next week. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Oh, how funny!...Banana Mania!

Your food posts are always inspiring, my friend, and your recipes--thanks. :-) I marvel at your creativity and variety on a budget. I know that takes careful thought and planning. Good for you!

Blessings on your weekend.