These are so good for you! I took a picture to show you how pretty they turn out but I lost it. Grrrr......Oh well, you'll have to use your imagination.
As with any smoothie recipe, it's not really a recipe but a method. You can mix and match a hundred different things and clean out the fridge at the same time! Here's my favorite way to do it....
I use the whole quart of homemade yogurt and dump it in the blender.
Then add whatever fresh, frozen, or canned fruit I have.
I use juice concentrate to sweeten and sometimes a bit of sugar if it's not enough. (Or if you canned a lot of apricot preserves and it turns out that nobody even likes apricot preserves, then this is a good way to get rid of it!)
A couple of handfuls of fresh spinach. (Don't use frozen.)
Blend until the spinach is all chopped up and its a pretty green color.
As my son says, "It has lots of salad, but you can't even taste it!"
1 comment:
Here's my new smoothie idea!!
I'm so excited to share it. My midwife's suggestion when I had the flu was 'EmerGenC' packets. You add this powder to water and it fizzes up like alka seltzer, and it's orange flavored and chock full of all sorts of vitamins - not just C.
Problem - I didn't care for the flavor of it in water, I think it tasted watered down and like a multivitamin... and I HATE alka seltzer!
But I made a slushie with juice, frozen juice cubes, and frozen strawberries, and I added a few of these packets, and it was SOOOO good. The orange flavor added a lot, the fizz wasn't really noticeable and may have helped the texture, and plus it added all those vitamins! Luke and I both liked it.
I think it would be great in any smoothie that would taste good w/ orange flavor. I need to buy some plain yogurt and try it.
I don't like spinach in smoothies. Then again I never had it made with fresh spinach leaves. Mom used to try to sneak in frozen spinach, and while the taste was tolerable, the texture was so horrific that I could barely swallow it. None of us kids liked it. In fact, I barely like smoothies (something about wondering if it would be a yummy treat or a smooshy salad cup made them less appealing, lol)
Mom apologized to me recently and said that she didn't know it needed to be fresh.
I forgave her. Maybe now I'm recovered enough to try a salad smoothie again :D
Post a Comment