Sunday, April 05, 2009

Not Under The Weather!


If I could choose I would set the temperature at a sunny 75 degrees with a scheduled storm once a week and snow only at Christmas time and when the Wings were here.

I love the summers in CO and really the winters aren't too bad either. It's spring that I have trouble with. It gets all nice and warm for days and days and then WHAM!! Snow. And it doesn't stop either. Last year it kept snowing in May when my friends in AR had their gardens well underway.

Yesterday we had soccer games scheduled as well as general birthday fun. But it was snowy and rainy and cold and everything was cancelled. As we were eating breakfast, my husband prayed something that caught my attention. It went something like this...."Thank you God for another unexpected day of rest."

I hadn't thought of it like that. What do I have to complain about when I have a cozy warm house full of food, electricity, and every modern convenience? And even though our outside activities were cancelled, it is not as though I had nothing to do.

I need to learn to cooperate with God's plan for my day. I need to rest in His sovereignty to command the weather as He pleases. I need to adjust my thoughts and be thankful. Cancelled things will be rescheduled, the sun will shine again, and the garden will get planted eventually. The busyness of life will never cease, but days of rest are few.

So yesterday we spent the day hibernating. Playing games, watching movies, cooking, reading, and being together. I enjoyed the break from the usual busy Saturday routine. My son had a good birthday and it was restful indeed.

"Thank you God for another unexpected day of rest."

No comments: