"For this is what the Lord says: ' They will eat and have some left over.' Then he set it before them, and they ate and had some left over, according to the word of the Lord." 2 Kings 5:43-44
A dear homeschooling friend is wanting to add more children to their family. She is concerned about adding to an already full plate and asked me how I felt the Lord has supplied us with grace, patience, and ability as He added to our family.
As I was pondering her question, I was reading in 2 Kings this morning. This verse nailed it! God's work in the life of Elisha displays His ability to turn little into plenty. The widow's oil was a small amount that was multiplied so that she was able to pay her debts and live. Twenty loaves of barley bread were made to feed a hundred men with leftovers.
As we have followed His leading, our family has grown and He has supplied us with the grace, wisdom, organization, patience, time, and energy that we need. For that I am thankful. But the "leftovers" are the best part.
The extra things like .....
date night every week
desserts with dinner
more clothes than I know what to do with
sleeping in on Sunday morning
soccer, fencing, and instruments
books and games a plenty
the unique love of each precious child
This good life is nothing we deserve. God took our little bit of faith and multiplied it as He has made our lives richer with each blessing. Continually He shows us that if we will trust Him, He will more than supply our needs.
3 comments:
Woa! Nice blog templete!
Hi Sandy,
I love your answer to this question!!
I myself have been thinking/praying/wondering about adding more kids to our family. However, my husband doesn't agree- he often mentions how tired I am, and worrying about money issues. What do you do if you aren't in accord with your spouse? I don't want to nag him (obviously!) and I have been praying for his mind to be changed for about a year. Each month that passes seems to be more and more painful for me. Any suggestions??
Diane
Diane,
God is good to give us our husbands as protectors and providers. I think you can rest in Him knowing that He works through your husband to provide for you. When your husband sees you tired and when money is tight, he is probably wanting to act in your best interest.
I don't know if you know this story, but my husband had a vasectomy after our 4th child. We were both very remorseful from the beginning but he did not want to go through getting it reversed. I remember when I felt like I had reached the point where I had talked enough and resolved to turn it over to the Lord. I never said another word about it. I didn't have to wait long. God worked on his heart without my saying anything else. Now we have 5 sweet reversal babies.
One of my favorite verses is Prov 21:1 "The king's heart is in the hand of the Lord; He directs it like a watercourse wherever He pleases."
When I find myself in a different place than my husband, I like to pray for the Lord to direct his heart.
I know it is hard to leave it there. I will pray for a gentle and quiet spirit for you.
Love,
Sandy
Post a Comment