Thursday, August 03, 2006

G and G

This is one my favorite family stories....

Many years ago when I only had four kids and they were all little, we went to Pizza Hut to eat lunch. We don't eat out much so it was quite a treat for my little ones. They were really enjoying it and behaving wonderfully.

I struck up a conversation with a married couple across the way. Their pastor was a mutual acquaintance and we had a nice time visiting. During the visit, an elderly gentleman was leaving. On his way out, he came over and gave me a $10 bill. He said that he enjoyed watching my children, they had blessed him that day, and he wanted to buy our lunch!! I can't tell you how surprised I was...flabbergasted is more like it! He was a total stranger! I just kept telling him "thank you" over and over.

In the course of time, the nice couple whom I visited with also left. When it was our turn to leave, I took the $10 up to the counter to pay. To my total surprise that couple had already paid for our lunch!! I didn't know them, couldn't thank them, and was left at the counter with my mouth wide open and the $10 still in my hand. Wow.......I remember feeling shaky as I loaded the kids up in the van and tried to explain to them what had happened. 2 total strangers had paid for our lunch on the same day!

Like I said, my kids were little and so they do not remember much of that day. I will never forget it. I took that $10, framed it, and it is hanging in my boys' room. It is to remind them of the story I now tell them.

Months later we met again. This time it was at their church at a Valentine's banquet and we were paired up at the same table. Finally I had the opportunity to thank them (and learned their names). I'm not sure if they'd be comfortable with me sharing their names so I'll call them G and G. As it turned out, our family started attending their church so we saw much of each other.

We all go to different churches now and hadn't seen each other in a couple of years. Recently Honey and I went to the hospital to visit a sick friend and ....there were G and G! How absolutely thrilled I was to see them again!! Unfortunately, we met again at our friend's funeral.

Today I got a letter from G and G. Inside was a sweet note and a book of stamps to finance the next month's issue of our family newsletter. Again, a total surprise. The generosity of these friends bless me so much. Thank you again G and G. I love you!!

Lord, please help me to bless someone like G and G have blessed me.


No comments: