Last night I was picking through beans. Every time I pick through beans I think about Nanny. She's my g'ma on my dad's side that passed away soon after I was married.
Nanny always gave me the bad and broken beans to play with with my dishes. I loved having real food!
Eric and I spent a lot of time at Nanny and Granddaddy's and I have the BEST memories of it. All good and absolutely nothing bad. I don't ever remember getting in trouble or anyone being upset. Just happiness.
I remember exactly the way the house was arranged. All the closets, the little bathroom, the back screen door that slammed. I even remember their phone number.
I loved spending the night and eating olives out of the jar with Granddaddy in bed while we watched Gun Smoke. At night, I would listen in the dark to the trains that went by. And in the morning, I got the last sip of his coffee before he headed off to work at the feed store.
The back yard was a blast! Nothing fancy. There was a slab of concrete just right for Eric and me to ride old trikes. The broken swingset was used for everything from a jungle gym to a play house. Oh, and there were these huge black yucky beetles that we hated. So we would call Nanny and she'd come out with her hoe and whack at them! So brave.
My Nanny was soooo pretty! She usually had her hair done up in a bee hive sort of style. We would walk to the shopping center together to get it fixed. There was also a five and dime store that we'd poke around in and a grocery store too. We couldn't get many groceries at a time b/c we had to carry them home. Nanny didn't drive.
As I'm getting older I think my eyes look like Nanny's. I like that.
How I wish I could've known her as an adult and not just a kid. And I was thinking last night about how she's probably loving on my babies that are in Heaven with her. Just another reason why I long to get there!!
1 comment:
Sweet sweet memories. Thanks for sharing. I too have wonderful memoires of my Granny who passed away when I was 13. Glad you have your Nanny's eyes. :o)
Post a Comment