Monday, March 07, 2011

Has This Ever Happened To You?

One time, a long time ago, I was invited to a Tupperware party. I do love these sorts of excuses to visit with my friends. But when I got there I was surprised to see that the lady selling the Tupperware was my pastor's wife! And let me tell ya, it was a tiny church too. You'd think I'd have known.

But she started off right away saying that she didn't want to ask any of the church ladies to have a party for her b/c she didn't want them to feel obligated. Sweet!

When I got home I remembered saying aloud how glad I was that she didn't ask me to have a party b/c I hate those sort of things! Wait. Let me re-phrase that. I love going, just don't like hosting, b/c I feel like I'm begging for money even though it's not for me.

Anyhoo, don't ya know that I no more got it out of my mouth when I felt that prompting of the Lord. To what? Have a party? But are You sure Lord, b/c all my friends were already at the last party anyway. And besides, I have little kids and my house isn't big enough and I don't know what kind of snacks to make and, and, and.....

But the party was fun and it helped my friend and I learned not to speak so hastily.
Or so I thought.

Tonight I got a Facebook message from a friend asking me to speak encouragement to the stay-at-home moms at her church during a special dinner thing. I immediately started typing out my NO answer. But I couldn't finish.

It was that prompting of the Lord. The "you haven't even prayed about this" thought. And "it's not all about you". Immediately I knew it was right. And that I should do it. But I typed out an answer like "I'll let ya know later".

Then I started questioning the Lord..
"But how many ppl would be there? Is it a big church?" - That's not your concern.
"But I'm not a good speaker. Like not at all. Not even a little bit." - My grace is sufficient.
"What would I say?" - My Word.

I turned to Honey and asked him. I hoped he would say that it was stupid idea because he knows I'm not a good speaker. And he's a logical kinda guy. At the very least he could remind me that we had something important to do that night....whatever night it is.

But he said the same thing. He and God are on the same side I guess. So I started in with the questions and the "buts" and he answered with a question. "Why wouldn't you do it?"

Well duh! B/c it's not comfortable. And then he helped me see that it would be more uncomfortable not to do it.

So Yes, my friend , I would happy to speak to the moms at your church. But maybe they'll all be busy that night????

2 comments:

Life at the Lake said...

Sandy, you will be such a blessing and encouragement to those moms. Your sweet spirit and love of the Lord will shine through.

robbieniccum said...

I got super chills from this post...I so wish I could be there! well, I will in my heart..sitting in the front row withmy big smile to let you know that you are doing a great job...(((HUGS!)))