Sunday, March 06, 2011

The Hiding Place


The Hiding Place, by Corrie Ten Boom, is a true story that takes place in Holland during the German invasion. Corrie and her sister, Betsie, (both unmarried) live with their elderly father helping him in his watch shop.

Their days always start the same with Father reading 1 chapter of the Bible aloud to his daughters and employees. The days end the same way as well.

The story follows this family's insatiable love for people to the point of risking their own lives. They love the despised, the lowly, the misfits, and are a wonderful example of the Lord Jesus Himself.

Corrie and Betsy are eventually captured for running an underground operation hiding Jews. The story follows them through unmentionable cruelty, unfathomably miracles, and amazing faith.

Though it is a true story, it reads like fiction. Hard to put it down! I'm so thankful Emily suggested it to me and my neighbor loaned it. Now I'm reading it aloud to my family before I have to return it.

Every night it's the same..."Just one more chapter??"

2 comments:

emilyj said...

I'm so glad you were blessed by this book! I can't remember if I told you, but I had Marrshall read it last semester and he says it's the only book he's ever choked up reading. I always think of them whenever i have any hard times.

Anonymous said...

we love the focus on the family radio theater version. We have worn out several copies.

jodie