I was reading in James this morning and praying over certain relationships I have.
And then I remembered this...
"Stop trusting in man, who has but a breath in his nostrils. Of what account is he?" Isaiah 2:22
And then I started thinking about how I do trust in man. I trust that 'he' will treat me fairly, love God and act accordingly on my behalf, keep promises, provide whatever, deal honestly, be kind, love, and generally "play nice."
And so when someone doesn't, I get bent out of shape. I realize that I sometimes put more stock in people than I should. Someday I will stand before God and it will just be me and Him.
In the meantime I am to love and forgive and pray and keep my eyes fixed on Jesus.
My Colorado pastor preached on the ant once. And while I don't remember exactly what the sermon was about I do remember his illustration of the ant....
When a little boy kicks over an ant hill, what do the ants do? Do they stomp their feet wailing over their misfortune? Do they gripe about it to their Sunday School class disguising it as a prayer request? Do they follow the kid around hoping for a chance to get revenge?
Nope. They just get back to work. Immediately. They are singularly minded and live accordingly.
In the same way, I want to be like the ant when I feel mistreated, misunderstood, or treated unfairly. Forgiving instantly, loving freely, and trusting my Savior to work it all out for good.
I don't mean that everything needs to be covered over. Some things do, as Proverbs states. But some things need to be addressed so both parties understand one another better. What I am saying is that whether it is overlooked or addressed, I want to respond in grace whether or not the outcome is in my favor.
2 comments:
Sandy - You should go to BSF this fall!! They are doing Isaiah for the first time ever. I know it will be an amazing in depth study. It's at first baptist on Wed morning at 9:00 til 11. Or there is a night class at Eastside I think!!
Oh I'd love to. I'm afraid it's the wrong season of life for that sort of thing. At least during the day. Maybe I should check out the evening one...I love Isaiah!
How 'bout you call me and tell me more??
Post a Comment