Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Why We Should Obey..1John 3:1-3

I'm starting something new. 

Whenever I read my Bible I often find myself remembering bits and pieces of sermon notes or Bible study notes or something I read about a certain passage a long time ago, but no longer have.  I usually take fairly extensive notes during church but then discard them sometime throughout the week only to find myself wishing I still had them. 

So now I'm going to keep them all in a notebook separated with dividers for each book of the Bible. 
I figure now's the best time to start so here's my notes from Sunday.  It was a really good sermon!

Why We Should Obey (1John 3:1-3)

***Because of what God has done... "How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!" (v1)

We who were once enemies of God are now children of God!  It's an elite status that Christians sometimes take for granted. (Romans 8:16-17)

Adoption gives us a richer relationship with God.  Even more than justification.  Justification brings us into the court room, but adoption brings us into the living room of God's grace.  (Some of this was taken from Knowing God by J I Packer)

Mephibosheth is a great example.  2 Samuel 21

Do you understand the great privilege?  Does your life reflect that?

***Because of what God is going to do... Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when he appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. (v2)

What we will be as Christians has not yet been revealed.  Our transformation is linked to seeing Jesus as He is.  The work being done in us will be completed and our future transformation is certain. 

***Everyone who has this hope in him purifies himself, just as he is pure. (v3) 

We are not to be waiting around for godliness but should be pursuing godliness.  The grace of God is meant to produce a response in us.


Listen to Graham's message here.

No comments: