I have learned a lot from this brief study. Here's some more from Ken Sande's book, The Peace Maker...
As we have seen, an idol is something we love, fear, or trust.
Love, fear, and trust are words of worship. Jesus commands us to love God, fear God, and trust God only (Matt 22:37; Luke 12:4-5; John 14:1). Anytime we long for something apart from God, fear something more than God, or trust in something other than God to make us happy, fulfilled, or secure, we worship a false god.
There is only one way out of this bondage and judgment: It is to look to God himself, who loves to deliver people from their idols. God has provided the cure for our idolatry by sending his Son to experience the punishment that we deserve because of our sin. Through Jesus Christ we can become righteous in God's sight and find freedom from sin and idolatry.
Confessing our sin brings freedom and opens the door for God to work through our humility. Thinking back over the summer, there's many times I wish I had just been quiet. Many times I wish I had prayed and left it there. Many times I wish I had waited patiently for God to work instead of stepping out on my own.
"Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel." Ps 73:23-24
One more...
"Finally brothers whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things." Phil 4:8
This verse is used so often and applied to absolutely everything. While it is a wonderful principle to apply, reading it in its context we see that Paul is speaking in regard to conflict here. Imagine how different conflict would be if we concentrated on the good in the other person instead of reminding ourselves of the bad.
So there ya have it. I still have 1/2 the book to go and I'm curious as to what else could be said. Seems like he covered an ocean of goodness in just the first 1/2.
Now let's see if I can finish the summer as a peace maker instead of trouble maker!
No comments:
Post a Comment