Sunday, July 25, 2010

Canning Salsa

I had a lot of jalapenos and needed something to do with them.  So LB and I spent the morning making salsa.   This recipe is easy and went quickly with the help of a food processor.
Sterilizing jars...

All set...

Processed, mixed, and ready to go...

This recipe is from my friend Liz.  I'll type out the original but include the things I changed.

1 #10 can tomato sauce
5 28oz cans diced tomatoes (I didn't have this so I used 2 cans of tomato sauce.)
8 jalapenos
3 large onions
4 T minced garlic (I used 1 1/2 heads of fresh garlic)
8 T dried parsley (I used fresh and left out the dried)
1 handful of cilantro (I left this out)
1/2 C crushed red pepper
salt to taste

Run all the veggies through the food processor with some of the sauce.  Mix everything together in a big bowl.  My family doesn't like chunky salsa as much so I process it pretty smooth.  My favorite way is to process the veggies but stir in the diced tomatoes at the end.  It's not too chunky, but has a good texture.

Process these for 20 minutes. 

Altogether it made 2 quarts plus 10 pints. 


1 comment:

Aspiring Mom2three said...

I've not told you, but I love the festive look of your blog! Bright and cheerful. I canned some salsa last week with all the tomatoes we had. Claire and I are the only ones that eat it, so I made a smaller batch with pint jars. Looks Yummy!