Honey and I started the new year with a nice long talk in bed this morning. We talked over our goals for the coming year and some things we'd like to start. More ministry, more hospitality, financial goals, etc. Good stuff.
One of my personal goals that will line up nicely with financial goals is to be more organized with our menus and shopping. I find myself in the stores way too often.
This afternoon I worked out our menu plan for the month of January. I pulled out the calendar to see what kind of events we would need to work around, how many pizza nights, how many date nights, etc.
Here's what it looks like....
5 Sundays mean 5 date nights. (I didn't plan those out. I'll do those weekly.)
5 Fridays = 5 pizza nights
That's 1/3 of the month done without even thinking about it!
And the rest...
Tex-mex casserole w/refried beans & chips
Chili in the crockpot
Lasagna in the crockpot
Sloppy Joes & oven fries
meatballs & noodles
artichoke ravioli
chicken enchiladas w/spanish rice
big turkey w/stuffing
lemon chicken w/mashed potatoes & veggies
chicken salsa pasta
chicken penne pasta
tuna sauce on toast w/ peas
veggie lasagna
7 layer dip with meat
Meg's b-day meals that she hasn't decided.
That comes out to 25 dinners which should be more than enough considering dinners at church and leftovers.
I'm planning breakfasts very simply w/o a whole lot of variation.
Cinnamon rasin bread w/ boiled eggs & fruit (x4)
Oatmeal (x4)
Oven pancake w/blueberry syrup (x2)
Baked oatmeal
Cream of wheat (x2)
Apple streusel
Omelets (x5)
That's 19 days and I'll fill in the rest with homemade granola.
I don't plan lunches b/c we usually have leftovers or some sort of soup/sandwich.
I'm hoping that a better plan will keep me out of stores as much. We'll see...
I'm also trying to cut our budget back to $850/mo. The gift of my parents' meat plus the turkeys from Thanksgiving ought to make that happen. But mostly I want to remember to pray more over my shopping and planning. Asking the Lord to show me how to spend His money and use the time He's given me.
Today's meals...
Breakfast - cereal
Lunch - leftover chicken spaghetti
Dinner - pizza
Snacks - banana bread, apples, & clementines
2 comments:
O Sandy! I am in the grocery WAY Too often! I spend so much money with just the 4 of us ( and Harris just starting table food!) I can't imagine how much it will come to when our family is bigger! I need to come and take a class from you or something!
Oh I haven't made homemade granola in SO long and I am not sure I have the recipe anymore. Can you post one please?
Post a Comment