Thursday, January 28, 2010

Money Talk

One of our goals for 2010 was to nail down our budget. Before we moved to CO, we worked with a cash envelope system. It worked well until we moved and were living in two separate states. We then moved to a cash back reward credit card for everything. We paid it off every month and that helped Honey track our separate spendings. And because we liked the money we were earning from it, decided to keep it that way for awhile.


Well now we're back to the envelope system. We are hoping to save more using cash than we made with our credit card. It's just too easy to whip out a card! Check out these kyuuute envelopes I made!!



This was my inspiration. I didn't do it exactly like she did b/c I'm not going to carry them around in my wallet and because I don't like my wallet anyway and I need want a new one. I also didn't use her template. I just found an envelope style I liked and took it apart and traced around it. Here's the back.

So I guess mine isn't like hers at all except that I made them out of scrapbook paper. Anyway... I like 'em!
What does that have to do with money? Hmm, not much. So nevermind. Back to budgeting.

~We set up our new budget this morning taking it down to zero dollars.
~We get paid every 2 weeks so I'll work with that dividing it in half.
~I am trying something new with my menuing and doing it every week instead of every 2 or every month.
~I'm thinking I should be able to cut the food budget by $75/mo b/c of my parents' meat and no diapers!
~The tricky thing about not getting paid monthly is dividing up money for stuff that you just buy once a month. Also excitedly buying too much of a sale item and then forgetting that we're out of toilet paper. That's me. So I made a list of everything I could think of that we think we have to have so I could plan around that better and still have money left on the last week.

When I started writing it all out, I figured we went though 30 gallons of milk, 5 lbs of sour cream, 10 lbs of cottage cheese, 20 lbs of butter, and 20 lbs of cheese every month. I'm thinking we should just buy ourselves a dairy cow and call it a day.

Next step is to be more careful with my list making so I can just shop once a week. I figure I'll just blitz it all in one day and be done with it. Aldi, Walmart, and Sams here we come!

And last but not least, we bought a new car! New for us, but really like 16 years old. It was coming time to have a third car for teenager purposes and we got a screamin' deal from a guy at Honey's office. It's super clean, in great shape, easy to drive with low mileage. Honey will drive it to work and leave the Escape for us. They both get better gas mileage than the van and will help us keep the van in better shape longer.

8 comments:

Valerie said...

love this!. I hear all of the time about menu planning and envelopes blah blah blah. But you actually succedded in motivating me to actually do it! How did you do that?? I think I will write my very first list tomorrow.

Valerie said...

succeeded not succedded . sorry :)

TaggTroop said...

You go Valerie! And come back here and share your menu with me!

the momma said...

Love your envelopes!

We use the envelope system, too, AND we use our Discover to get cash back ~ we have a Discover envelope & when we use the card, I put the money from the appropriate envelope into the Discover envelope. Works well for us

Amanda said...

Some great ideas! I've thought about going to cash but I REALLY like getting free groceries every few months from using our credit card. I wonder if we would in fact save more than we are getting for rewards if we did the cash thing...worth pondering! Honestly, I think I just like the cute envelopes and want SOME excuse to make some. :) The car kinda looks like an unmarked police car. You should sit on the side of the road with a hair dryer pointed out the window and see how many people you can get to slow down. ;)

Carri Roman said...

I'm inspired. I got my schedule down and my knees are knocking thinking about getting my budget down. Wish I could just come over and learn from you. My new cookbook is killing me in groceries. Maybe one new recipe a week should be good for now.

That is ALOT of dairy lady! Yes, a cow would be good. But then you would have to do all the churning!! :)

Amanda that is super funny!!!!

emilyj said...

Wow Sandy! I love it! We tried to budget this month. Blew it big time. ALl kinds of unexpected expenses came up. Can I just come sit at your feet for a while and maybe soak some budget savvy-ness up? ;o)

Amy said...

We used to use our American Express card for absolutely everything. You can't carry a balance (well, now you can, but we never did) and you still get points for items. (We haven't paid for a hotel bill in quite some time!) BUT it was too easy to plunk it down and CHARGE it. So we moved to a debit card and Brian uses the Am Ex for company expenditures.

We sit down every month and write out our budget and track what we spend. My trouble is menu planning! And sticking with it! I shop once a week for items, but I'm trying so hard to get better at menu planning. I've spent this week paying close attention to things. I'm runnning low on staples so I'm cleaning out the pantry and purging! Keep sharing your tips........