Monday, January 11, 2010

Good Reads

"The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.  We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."  John 1:14

Today I start reading John.  My very favorite of the gospels.  I'm also going to read it aloud to the kids and we'll spend about 30 min watching The Gospel Of John on dvd each day just to add a new dimension. 

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the law and the prophets."  Matthew 7:12....  This is our memory verse this week.  After weeks of memorizing long passages, we're starting this week with something easy.  It's a review for my older kids, and new for the babies.  At the end of the week, I'm passing out prizes(!) for several weeks of good work.  Great job, kids!  We're still working away at this Charlotte Mason style of memorization and find its just the thing for our family. 

I printed off a coloring sheet to go with our verse.  Even my big kids like doing this sometimes. 



The Peacemaker by Ken Sande.  My friend, Janice, loves this book.  And since peacemaking skills are always helpful, I put it on my Christmas list.  I love the way the author teaches about glorifying God through conflict.  But its not just in concept, he actually teaches you what that means and explains what it looks like. 

Of course the minute I start reading this book I get into a discussion with Honey.  Or as Jodie calls it, "intense fellowship".   God's timing is perfect, and a bit funny. 


In His Steps by Charles Sheldon. This is a re-read for me b/c I was wanting something fiction and something meaningful.  Its about how members in a local church make a commitment to do nothing without first asking the question, "What would Jesus do?".  Through prayer and Bible reading they discern what Jesus' probable actions would be and determine to follow in His steps regardless of the cost. 

First We Have Coffee by Margaret Jensen.  I know, I know.  Seems like I'm always reading this book.  When I found out that I actually knew a child of Ella Tweeten's, I just couldn't help myself.  I'm reading it to the kids and when we're done, I'm planning to invite Mrs. Jensen over for coffee.... and a chat.  We're all looking forward to that!  I love love love it b/c I learn something new every single time.  Mama Tweeten is my hero. 


Spiritual Leadership by Henry Blackaby.  Anything Blackaby is bound to be a fave of mine.  Looks like a man's book, I know.  But leadership skills are helpful as I strive to raise up these little people who look to me for guidance.  Blackaby is never fluffy but always cut and dry, full of Scripture, practical, and relevant.  Greatness in my opinion, but I am a huge fan. 

1 comment:

Carri Roman said...

Yea, my discipleship group just announced that we will be going through Peace Maker. Can't wait!